Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Response from CAI & Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Default Response from CAI & Tune

I've been waiting for this day for a while. My car was new so I decided to break it in before doing any modifications. Except music, already dumped in about 2K worth of electrogizometry. What can I say, "If it's too loud you're too old!" Plus Slayer double bass is a good back massage! So any ways, 4000 miles later I got my wish. Sadly the shop in Syracuse wasn't open, I'd get a before and after dyno if I could have. But since they're not... oh well. Going on BD only.

Received from Brenspeed the C&L cold air intake, and SCT Xcalibrator2 combo package. Free shipping, no tax. Gotta love the internet some times. I almost went with AltAuto but no 93 tune, plus many messages seem to state they're great for auto trans. I'm manual and wanted 93. Install was quick and easy. Flashed on the 93 tune. Some observations

Completely stock system: A little sluggish, throttle response seemed slightly delayed. Took a while to hit redline in any gear, including 1st. Efficiency is 30mpg interstate cruise control, about 20-22 with moderate city driving.

With CAI & 93 Tune: Simply revving the engine is faster, meaner sounding also. Throttle lag got the Houdini treatment because it disappeared. Redline is hit very shortly. The car itself just seems lighter, the front lifts up faster/easier during takeoff. Don't need a dyno to tell me how much this simple combo package alone makes a drastic improvement. However even with 93 tune, and talk of efficiency gains. My little mpg index doesn't show that. If anything even cruise control at 60mph the chart is showing more gas consumption.

Though more air = more gas. But also tune + higher octane means more power, so less gas needed to get same... bah. It's still only 20 miles worth of driving with this setup compared to 4K. I'll give it a while to see how the mpg reading goes. If the average jumps up or down.

Got some pictures to display the C&L goodness. Took side angles also, haven't seen any so figured some people might be interested in those.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42135/18E8A44698EB403A9036CBED7FDFD572.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42135/E0C9C29DC15740FFBC8E754908ABAF16.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42135/FC0DBD927B8B403F967FB7DF582D67CE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Response from CAI & Tune

Glad for your sucess!!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:17 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

Thats awsome, thats the next mod I'm gonna do, I'll stick with the 87 tune for now though, I'll see what that gets me......
Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Thats cool, hey do you like the brenspeed tunes? I wanted to go with Alternative originally but its outta my price range by a bit so im trying to decide either Evolution or Brenspeed.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:32 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Meph
Completely stock system: A little sluggish, throttle response seemed slightly delayed. Took a while to hit redline in any gear, including 1st.

With CAI & 93 Tune: Simply revving the engine is faster, meaner sounding also. Throttle lag got the Houdini treatment because it disappeared. Redline is hit very shortly.
That's great to hear. Before I installed mine, I was concerned that I would be disappointed with the performance. But my car showed a definite improvement over stock. Like you said above, now my car just seems to spool up faster through the RPM range, and it seems like it has more low-end torque. I'm happy to hear that you are pleased with yours! Thanks for including pics, too.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

So far I like it, but I can't give a flat out "best thing since sliced bread." I'll need a good weeks worth of driving to see a full effect. See if it actually does help or hurt efficiency, and it so how much or just negligable (.1mpg isn't worth making a fuss over). I'll try my hardest to do "regular" driving. Though it's so tempting to just gun it.

But yes, RPM's faster and I get a that neck-snap feeling unlike before.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM
pallidamors
Banned

Is there much of a difference between the 87 and 93 octane tunes?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
danno

ORIGINAL: pallidamors

Is there much of a difference between the 87 and 93 octane tunes?
There's a definite difference between the 87 and 93 octane tunes from Brenspeed. I used the 93 tune for the last month or so but I decided the throttle was too "twitchy" and I just switched back to the 87 tune. Either one is a big improvement over stock! I need to try the 91 tune, too.

-danno
Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Haven't tried any other yet. 1/2 tank of 93 octane still. So far the average mpg isn't moving, which is at the very least good. Because I've been rippin on this sucker. I can't help it, as previously said the throttle lag being gone... it's twitchy. And city driving kinda sucks a little bit more. I need to let off on the clutch uber-slow or else the car is gone.

But out from city into open roads and it's great. I can slow down when somebody's turning in front of me, then nothing but road and sky in front and I try to catch it as fast as I can. I can't believe that this might only be making the mustang from mid 15 to high 14, it feels considerably faster. But that's all speculation from feel, obviously I think I now have a 10 second car Just temporary feeling I'm sure, as well as temporary twitchy pedal. Through time I will train the muscles and get used to it no doubt.

Though I'm close to Watkins Glenn, I almost want to break into that place and hit the track there. Not a strip but it'll be fun none the less.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

So, say I buy this tuner, what says that I won't add another mod later on down the road? Will I have to retune the car for the new modification? Or will I have to have someone else do it for me? I can tear an engine apart and rebuild it np. I can't adjust computer stuff though, too many numbers and chances for damage. I read about one company that will email you a new setup if you tell them your new parts and stuff. Anybody know which brand that is? Also where do you get 93 octane fuel? I only see 92 here in San Angelo Texas.

Quick Reply: Response from CAI & Tune