Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

More Horsepower from Sparkplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default More Horsepower from Sparkplugs?

Hey,

I have spent a couple of days researching all different types of sparkplugs, and it came down to a couple papers already written in the industry. You gotta love the internet.

The (3) best performing spark plugs are:

Champion Gold Series - (no longer in production)
Nippendenso U-groove - (difficult to get)
NGK V-power - (any local Murrays/Napa/etc.)

It seems the top 3 material for conductivity are in this order: Silver, Copper and Gold. All other materials don't even meet 50% of these three materials. It seems that Platinum is used for durability, not for conductivity and Iridium isn't any better than Platinum. Platinum is used by OEM's to go 100,000 miles between tune-up's - NOT PERFORMANCE.

One thing I've learned is there are many Copper Racing plugs made by different manufacturers (NGK, AutoLite, etc) and even a few Silver Racing plugs made by manufacturers (Nology,Zex, etc.). The problem is most Racing sparkplugs don't feature a resistor in the plug. This may sound familiar to old school tuners, whom just delt with the radio station interferrence but not the case with the new 2005+ Mustangs. The drive-by-wire throttle is affected by stray EMI, that a resistor plug would sheild.

The NGK plugs should be changed every 10,000 miles, but for a performance minded person this should not be a problem. Don't be fooled by the new E3 plugs, Splitfires, Triple Platinum, Iridium and such, plus some of these plugs can cost you $12 each.

The NGK V-Power plug has a solid copper core with a V-shaped groove in the electrode surface for more edge area and the ground strap is nickel plated. The parts store stock number is #4177 and part number TR6. The 6 tells you the heat range of the plug. If you have a blower, turbo or nitrous they also have TR4, TR5, TR55, and TR7 for different heat ranges.

Don't think they will add 100hp, but when upgrading your performance you will probably upgrade your ignition at some point or add a power adder. These plugs with a good coil and wires should give good clean spark all the way to redline. You may actually see more hp, because the spark is stronger for a longer period of time.

I am adding a Screamin' Demon coil and spark plug wires next week, and picked up the NGK plugs last night at Murrays for $1.99ea. I think V6 owners will see 3-4hp by 6000rpm with a good ignition system and good wires and plugs.

We shall see!

Hope this helped.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: More Horsepower from Sparkplugs?

Might not just be the plug itself, but also the wire. Have any research to go with these? That is you state TOP 3 plugs, what about top 3 wires?

Also the plug performance/specs do come into play when adding juice I would imagine. All that extra hp/heat instantly.

But nice notes. Can't wait to see if these actually do give you that extra 3hp. Be funny if a simple $12 will give a car 3hp.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Meph

Might not just be the plug itself, but also the wire. Have any research to go with these? That is you state TOP 3 plugs, what about top 3 wires?

Also the plug performance/specs do come into play when adding juice I would imagine. All that extra hp/heat instantly.

But nice notes. Can't wait to see if these actually do give you that extra 3hp. Be funny if a simple $12 will give a car 3hp.
plugs won't but everything I've read from the mag reviews say that the screamin' demon set ups work pretty well and do give a car better response all the way to redline.

3hp would be on the coil pack, wires, AND plugs, not just the plugs. (In all about $180 for all three on a V6) Sounds like a lot but considering most people neglect their Ignition systems they're probably losing more than just 3hp on the computer retarding things to keep detonation down.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:53 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

you dont get power from plugs and wires, you might get some power back taht you lost from having crappy plugs but not much
Old 09-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

so explain the dyno results then....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...tor/index2.php

And I said...plugs wires AND coil pack... wire and plugs alone will not add anything like you said...they simply give back what you lost. Like a different gear in your diff or lighter driveshaft.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:04 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

The ONLY way you MIGHT gain some power from a plug is by going to a non resistor plug, like 996r said. But obviously for you EFI guys thatll pose a problem. Non resistor plugs are like a cheap MSD or Jacobs ignition where itll allow for multiple sparks even through a stock coil. Thats about the only way. I used to run non resistors in my car, I had to because I had plug meltdown problems (when I had c9 351 heads). I had to drop 13 heat ranges to stop melting electrodes.
-P.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:30 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

so explain the dyno results then....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...tor/index2.php

And I said...plugs wires AND coil pack... wire and plugs alone will not add anything like you said...they simply give back what you lost. Like a different gear in your diff or lighter driveshaft.
did you read coil pack in my post[&:]
Old 09-25-2006, 11:23 AM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure some people know how to read.

Some people post threads for all the members gain. If you read my post, I didn't say you get any horsepwoer from plugs. Doing a complete system upgrade allows the system to stay stronger longer. "Whatever" to the people whom have never even pulled a plug to read rich/lean on a vehicle.

Some people don't even know what they don't know!

Later!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:05 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Very good point; I know I don't know what I don't know! Know what I mean?
ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

I'm not sure some people know how to read.Some people don't even know what they don't know!

Some people post threads for all the members gain. If you read my post, I didn't say you get any horsepwoer from plugs. Doing a complete system upgrade allows the system to stay stronger longer. "Whatever" to the people whom have never even pulled a plug to read rich/lean on a vehicle.

Some people don't even know what they don't know!

Later!