Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Straight Pipes...WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Adian

Default Straight Pipes...WOW!!

Well I took my stang in to get the exhaust done, and was putting American Thunder mufflers on her...The guy I guess couldn't get in touch with me, so he called the girl at the shop where most of my custom paint and body work was be ign done, and she told him to run straight pipes....She turned out to be REALLY loud...Was making fire alarms go off in the parking garages at the airport...There is a noticable dif in HP, and I get 2 MPG more...Overall I'm very pleased

[IMG]local://upfiles/44060/B960BC7085CD4C7189B8B6F108EC0C87.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Straight Pipes...WOW!!

hows the drone? because from what i heard your drone is going to be crazy loud.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Adian

The drone really isn't too bad except when I'm cruising down the freeway at about 80...Usually when I get up to cruisin speeed I can let off the gas a bit and she runs pretty quiet...But 2 hours of driving though on a long trip gets pretty bad...So just have to either crank the radio or roll the windows down...Any way to decrease it some?...I was thinking possibly a little DynoMat, any thoughts?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:57 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

theres a company called secondskin. Its about 3 times better than dynamat. They ran a test between all the sound deadeners this one came out on top as far quality, what it holds up to, and price.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

go to damplifier. If you did your headliner, doors, under the carpet, anywhere you could, you will notice a huge difference.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

I was about to suggest same thing. Damplifier, not pro though. Damplifier itself is already a great material. It's also thinner and lighter weight than both damp-pro and dynamat xtreme!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adian

Well I took my stang in to get the exhaust done, and was putting American Thunder mufflers on her...The guy I guess couldn't get in touch with me, so he called the girl at the shop where most of my custom paint and body work was be ign done, and she told him to run straight pipes....She turned out to be REALLY loud...Was making fire alarms go off in the parking garages at the airport...There is a noticable dif in HP, and I get 2 MPG more...Overall I'm very pleased

[IMG]local://upfiles/44060/B960BC7085CD4C7189B8B6F108EC0C87.jpg[/IMG]

straight all the way thru as in de-catted? if so, dyno it for sure, nobody has done that on a 6 yet. wait, is your car a 6 with gt take-offs or is it a gt??
Old 09-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Euronimous

have you seen your check engine light come on at all?

My exhaust guy sugested that I not do straight pipes because the O2 sensors for the Cats are located in the center of the cat. He thought that the loss of the muffler would reduce the back pressure so much that the sensor would not work. If this is not true I might reconsider the straight pipe idea. Let me know.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

' the heck happened to ure grille?!?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:59 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

i was actually just gonna ask that lol.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Euronimous

have you seen your check engine light come on at all?

My exhaust guy sugested that I not do straight pipes because the O2 sensors for the Cats are located in the center of the cat. He thought that the loss of the muffler would reduce the back pressure so much that the sensor would not work. If this is not true I might reconsider the straight pipe idea. Let me know.
i don't think the 02 sensors are in the middle of the Cats... AFAIK, there are 2 O2 sensors in front of the cats and then behind the cats... Most tuners actually turn off the rear sensors...

From what I've heard from other folks is a that a true dual without some type of crossover like and x or h pipe actually sounds pretty crappy... hmmm...

For drone you could always try a couple of resonators...

Quick Reply: Straight Pipes...WOW!!