Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone with Brenspeed tunes...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 AM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone with Brenspeed tunes...opinions?

I just got my Brenspeed XCal2 this passed weekend, and I am impressed. I've used 2 of the three tunes, the 87 and 93. Hopefully I will get to use the 91 tune this weekend. The 87 tune was incredible, and the car felt like a damn rocket. The 93 tune feels like it's lacking. I've lost the throttle lag, but the get up and go of the 87 tune isn't there. Basically I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, either with Brenspeed or with any other tuners? I would've guessed that the 93 tune would be more powerful than the 87, but then again, I could be wrong.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone with Brenspeed tunes...opinions?

I will be getting a BrenSpeed tune in the near future .... Personally ... I would only expect a few horsepower between the different octane tunes .. I'm sure all it is doing is bumping up the timing ... My main goal is to get rid of the lag .... not turn it into a GT ....
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

I was quite pleased with my 93 tune from Bren. I just yesterday switched it to 87 tune so I'm not sure what to expect. I would imagine only similar results, not so much better or worse.

But I'll wait and see what happens.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

I'm definitely not looking to turn the stang into a gt, especially not with my mods. And by no means am I saying I'm displeased with my tunes. It just seems to me that the 87 tune is more powerful than the 93 tune, and I figured the opposite would be true since 93 octane is a better performance fuel than 87...
Old 10-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I've run his 87, 89, and 91 tunes and so far they have been incrementally better as you would probably expect. I chirp 2nd pretty easy with 91...put it in and never went back. Now I have no experience with the 93 but am suprised like you that it doesn't seem better than the 87. I may have to get the 93 and dump the 87....but I was keeping it for when gas was getting crazy since I do about 32K miles/year.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

I've run his 87, 89, and 91 tunes and so far they have been incrementally better as you would probably expect. I chirp 2nd pretty easy with 91...put it in and never went back. Now I have no experience with the 93 but am suprised like you that it doesn't seem better than the 87. I may have to get the 93 and dump the 87....but I was keeping it for when gas was getting crazy since I do about 32K miles/year.

I have a GT Muffler & K&N Intake ... it lights em up and chirps second no problem with the factory tune ....
Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I hear ya, didn't mean to imply a tune was necessary for that, there is just a noticeable power increase and ease of spinning the tires that was not there stock...
Old 10-04-2006, 06:02 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

Do you like the 91 tune? I'm hoping to try it out this weekend. Believe me when I say I am impressed with the 93 tune, just seems like the 87 tune has more tq to it??? [sm=dontgetit.gif] It's as if the 93 tune has more driveability and the 87 tune is meant to kick you in the a$$.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Out of the three I have 87/89/91 I do prefer the 91...seems to have all the benefits of the 87 with a notch more power. I have to say though that I do 95%+ highway driving so you definately might have a different opinion with more around town driving.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

I'm using the X-Cal 2 from Brenspeed and have been impressed. I started with the 87, lost the throttle lag, gained performance. Put in the 93 tune once I finished off the 87 in the tank. Noticable difference between the two tunes. I could squeal the tire with the 87, smoke it with the 93 (I have an auto) around a corner or holding it with the brake for a half second, release, enjoy. Same technique with both tunes. I settled on the 91 due to my wife saying the 93 was to jerky (translated: too much torque on takeoff) and the fact that now I'm not restriced to certain gas stations for premium. I should point out I changed my intake at the same time, so I'm sure the tune and the intake working together provided the increased performance. Did you change your intake, or just install the tune? Either way it would seem that the 93 would yield better performance than the 87, but who knows? Maybe the 93 tune needs more air to realize it's full potential. If you think there is a problem, e-mail Brenspeed. It's been my experience that Brent will respond promptly.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Brenspeed tunes...opinions?