Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Forced Induction - True effect on car's long term general reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default Forced Induction - True effect on car's long term general reliability

I am really getting close to going with the XCharger. As I get closer, more questions and issues come to mind.

The one that is really bugging me is the REAL general reliability of cars that have had power adders put on. People who tend to put these sorts of devices on tend to be a bit forgiving with "issues" that come up.... I think it's generally perceived to be "part of the game".

What do I mean by that? Well, for a car that is basically stock, I would expect to drive it for a significant period of time (50,000 plus miles) without having to be annoyed with a large amount of issues. I.e. I would not expect fluids to be leaking... would not expect the car to not start.... would not expect error codes to keep popping up.... would not expect the car to suddenly be running rough.....

This is where I am having my trouble... I really want a power adder, but I don't want to be tinkering with the car to fix little issues every 1000 miles. I want to be able to take the car on a 1200 mile round trip weekend without a 50% chance of some FI adder issue having me wonder if I will make it back home, or stranding me somewhere.

I want a power adder, but I DON'T WANT MY NEW HOBBY to be screwing with the power adder and car to make sure it run correctly.

So I need a sense from you folks who have power adders..... how fragile are the cars after you add these things? Do you have constant nagging issues, but you just deal with them? Or do you just drive these things for thousands of miles with no big issues?

AND... if you encounter a problem 500 miles from home, how do you cope with this? Can't just take it to a Ford dealer, right? You fix it yourself you hope? Or you are screwed and you tow it home.....

I am leaning toward XCharger if anybody has any specifics on this..... but..... I am worried this route is just the beginning of constant nagging problems.... I am not in the mood for that. If so, I will wait for 2009 Mustangs and go with a GT.

Enlighten me, of FI'ed ones.....
Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Forced Induction - True effect on car's long term general reliability

Well, any FI system is going to reduce the life of the engine...regardless of motor period. Well, maybe with exception to a built block, terminator or what not. But at low boost, most are predicting the cars will run fine to 150K ish before having to deal with issues. There is no exact number because no one has pushed it that long, but a good way to find out is ask some of the Ranger guys with the X.

As for screwing with the power adder, I have been running my all season, beating on it at the track and driving it to work every day with no issues. And I can run it under boost when I'm driving around town or to work and keep wear and tear off of it. One key with this is to invest in a boost guage, with a boost vac display, so you can forcibly run under boost. That is what a lot of us do, I've spoken to Afixer and scrming about it several times.

As for being 500 miles form home, and the car breaks down. To be honest, the nitrous was the most complicated for me on issues. It was wired up wrong....and once I turned on the bottle heater and spary at the same time, I blew the pcm and a fuse and had to have it towed back to Ford for repair. I lucked out as they covered it under warrenty.

The other thing is taking precautions, which I'm a firm believer in. Here is a list of things I do / abide by since my stang is heavily modified and my daily driver:

1. Get a AAA account (includes free towing). Will save your ***!
2. Drive as much as you can under boost
3. Keep a full size spare in the trunk (I use a old stock 16 inch wheel w/bfg, I know this not related, but figured I'd cover it)
4. Keep a basic set of tools in the car, along with a road side kit (includes jumper cables, tire flat, etc)
5. Find a shop close to you that can handle stuff that might not be honored on the warrenty, have them do a few jobs on the car to establish a relationship (I have 2 in my area I could trust in an emergency)
6. Change your oil every 3K miles (with a FI system on there, I wouldn't wait for 5K)
7. And for me personally, I decided the power adder I went with had to have an intercooler
8. Get a wide band gauge to monitor your AF
9. Get a boost gauge to help drive under boost

I'm sure the others will chime in.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:13 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Forced Induction - True effect on car's long term general reliability

I am not speaking from direct experience with FI, but from a general modification standpoint.

If you are serious about installing a power adder like the X-charger, then you will also want/need to invest in other mods to accommodate the increased power levels. Like a junkie looking for his next fix, your desire for more power will likely increase after the FI. LCA/UCA's will improve your launch, but your ride quality on a DD may suffer (which may not bother some, but may be a probelm for others). That's just one example. You'll want gears & LSD, which will increase your cruising RPM's. That will also increase wear on your motor because it will be running faster than before installing gears at a given speed.

These are the random thoughts from somebody who is in the same situation as you. I would love an intercooled turbo like Todd's (Rygen's), but I'm not ready financially to make that commitment on my DD (soon to be my wife's DD). It's a matter of looking at your wants/needs/expectations for your car, and deciding what's important to you (thank you Captain Obvious!).

Bill Jr.
28hopup
Old 10-16-2006, 01:24 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

I am not speaking from direct experience with FI, but from a general modification standpoint.

If you are serious about installing a power adder like the X-charger, then you will also want/need to invest in other mods to accommodate the increased power levels. Like a junkie looking for his next fix, your desire for more power will likely increase after the FI. LCA/UCA's will improve your launch, but your ride quality on a DD may suffer (which may not bother some, but may be a probelm for others). That's just one example. You'll want gears & LSD, which will increase your cruising RPM's. That will also increase wear on your motor because it will be running faster than before installing gears at a given speed.

These are the random thoughts from somebody who is in the same situation as you. I would love an intercooled turbo like Todd's (Rygen's), but I'm not ready financially to make that commitment on my DD (soon to be my wife's DD). It's a matter of looking at your wants/needs/expectations for your car, and deciding what's important to you (thank you Captain Obvious!).

Bill Jr.
28hopup
I can see a LSD on LX200's, but with the X, I can't see going above a 3.55 gear, and since he is street focused and not going to the track. The stock gear should do fine for him. Also, since he is not going to the track, I don't see the need for LCA/UCA unless he is drag racing on the street, which I won't go there. LOL.

Keep in mind the X makes power at 2K, which is also the stock stall on the auto. So the stock gear on this FI kit works really well.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Bump...

Anyone else want to help LX out here?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

dont really have input but ive had several cars that i have added f/i too with no problems really. But i dont really keep any of my cars for longer than 80k or so.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 PM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

LX200:

I am in the same boat as you. I am ready to get the SC but am concerned about what maintenance or what I will need to upgrade. I know a little about cars but absolutely nothing about superchargers. All I know is it will make my car much faster and thats what i want

I also was a little concerned about the life of the car since I drive it everyday. rygenstormlocke stated to drive the car under boost(I honestly do not know what that means). These are the things that I personally need to research

Old 10-17-2006, 11:15 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScreaminYellow

LX200:

I am in the same boat as you. I am ready to get the SC but am concerned about what maintenance or what I will need to upgrade. I know a little about cars but absolutely nothing about superchargers. All I know is it will make my car much faster and thats what i want

I also was a little concerned about the life of the car since I drive it everyday. rygenstormlocke stated to drive the car under boost(I honestly do not know what that means). These are the things that I personally need to research

he means that if you get a turbo or centi s/c your normal driving shouldnt get you into higher psi(more power) so it wont affect the engine too much. Since a turbo doesnt kick in till like 2.5k or so rpms and centi superchargers dont get max boost till close to redline youll most likely keep your car at low boost most of the time thus reducing wear on the engine.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Well... as I've said before, this is my play car, so I am looking at 3000 miles a year. So, it sounds like...

1. If there is any effect on engine longevity, I won't get there
2. The systems are not so fragile that they require constant tinkering

so.... that's all good news.....
Old 10-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

sry this is totally off topic but rygen i saw u said 5k miles. I have about 31,000 miles on my car and was supposed to change it at 30,068. Do you think i'll be fine till I drive back down to jersey this weekend and i'll be oh around....31,300?

Quick Reply: Forced Induction - True effect on car's long term general reliability