Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FI OWNERS

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:03 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FI OWNERS

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FI OWNERS

Well, it happened, I finally hurt Stella!!!! Yes, it’s true, my heart is broken. But, this was an error on my part, so please read on and make sure you don’t make the same mistake I did.

The Problem

I have what appears to be is blown head gasket. My pistons and plugs seem to be ok, as the car is not throwing a cell, misfire or any other codes that indicate detonation. The car runs, but shakes during idle and acceleration with white smoke coming out the exhaust.

Background

So far, it appears this was caused by me approving maintenance that affected the gas in the car. I went to a local shop for an oil change, and they mentioned I needed the 30K service that included replacement of the fuel filter. They came back and said they could not get to the fuel filter, as it was under the tank but could clean it. I said fine.

Well, what happened after that was I went to the track, ran a 13.7@100MPH. The car bogged badly and I figured it was cold, and I had the car in over drive, checked my temps, etc. And figured my next run would be better. So I make my second pass of 13.4@100MPH, car bogs really bad…and I can’t get power on launch. On the way back to the pits, the car is shuddering and spewing white smoke. Anti-Freeze level is dropping quickly too. Called PH, they said it sounds like a problem with the head gasket…and a guy at the track, who saw me run, said it was definitely a blown head gasket.

Well, gave AAA a call and got the car home safe and sound. And special thanks to Nav for giving me a lift to my house!!!! I got some awesome news and pics about him and Ranebowcyxx that I will do in another thread.

So, after talking with PH, Fazm and several others. It appears one of the following happened last night:

1. The cleaning detergent used in my car actually freed up some debris and clogged one of my injectors (will be inspecting them in the week to come)
2. The cleaning detergent lowered my octane to unsafe levels for a FI car

What to Avoid

Any type of detergent chemical that is inserted into your fuel or oil systems if you are a FI 4.0L. CHECK WITH YOUR SHOP FIRST!!!! If its 30K time for your car, make sure they replace the fuel filter, and not try to "clean" it!

What’s Next

Well, I can tell you this, I am not going to take this lying down, and that is for sure. I’m going to file a claim with the shop that did the work, and get a gas analysis.

Second, I’m getting Stella to PH to get her back on her feet so I can get her back on the track at a drag strip down south (I hear some of them are open nearly all year round). What she will emerge as is something all together different!

So those of you with FI, do some homework before you let a shop perform maintenance on your car. Don’t make the same bonehead mistake I did!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FI OWNERS

What is FI? Fuel Injection? If so aren't all mustangs fuel injected?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rupp

What is FI? Fuel Injection? If so aren't all mustangs fuel injected?
Forced Induction....

Turbo
SC
Nitrous
Old 10-21-2006, 08:01 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

haha yes fi stands for fuel injected
but in this case FI stands for forced induction some kind of turbo or supercharger
the fuel additive that cleans your injectiors and filter drops your octane level

sorry about this one Rygen i know how much stella means to you and all of us
Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that rygenstormelock
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks.

Though there is another element to this, I would think I would have poppped a pistion before the head gasket. Fazm, PH and Flapjack agree on that as well. Flap says he will post his thoughts once he gets back in front of a computer to throw some ideas around.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:35 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

that sucks man sorry to hear that.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

I'd be in the same boat, filing a claim against them. Hope all goes well and the car gets back running smooth soon.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

@ Rupp. When I first saw FI I thought exactly the same thing 'cause back in the day, FI did mean fuel injection, but times have changed.

@ Rygen. You don't think it could be caused by the inherent weakness of the head gasket do you? There was a report out from some outfit that did a technical analysis of the 4.0L V6 that stated the head gasket area could produce problems in a FI (forced induction) application because the water jacket and head bolts were so numerous that the head gasket's integrity was compromised to some extent.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:08 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

@ Rupp. When I first saw FI I thought exactly the same thing 'cause back in the day, FI did mean fuel injection, but times have changed.

@ Rygen. You don't think it could be caused by the inherent weakness of the head gasket do you? There was a report out from some outfit that did a technical analysis of the 4.0L V6 that stated the head gasket area could produce problems in a FI (forced induction) application because the water jacket and head bolts were so numerous that the head gasket's integrity was compromised to some extent.
it was probably ssm and they are probably right, but they make so many wild claims in that article that i just cant take any of it seriously. they are pretty much saying, don't do anything to your engine until you buy all of our stuff!

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FI OWNERS