Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

JBA True Dual Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:55 PM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

Default JBA True Dual Install

With the cheaper prices of the JBA True Duals w/ H-pipe on ebay, I figure a lot of people will be installing these soon. I installed mine today and there were some issues that came up I thought I would relate in the hopes others can avoid them. I apologize if some of these sound obvious, but here goes anyway:

- Test fit every slip connection before putting the pipes on the car. I had one pipe that looked perfectly round, but wasn't belled out enough for the other pipe to go in. I had to rent an exhaust spreader to make it work - after taking the pipe back off the car.

- While test fitting the connections, its a good idea to mark the inner pipe with a Sharpie when it is fully seated. This way you know the pipe is bottomed out when it's on the car.

- The instructions are pretty good, but they are a little vague on which H-pipe is the D/S and which is the P/S. The pipes are bent nearly the same and are not marked. According to the tech guy at JBA: lay the pipes on the ground with the x-over pipes flat and the bends should point slightly upward. The H-pipes are a tight fit going on, so it may be worth it to loosen the right cat pipe to make it easier.

As far as the looks and sound go, the pipes look great coming out the back - no V-engine should ever come without dual exhaust. The sound is good, not at all ricey, and it isn't too loud cruising with the windows down. Definitely noticable when getting on it though. The car does feel quicker, but that may be wishful thinking after all that laying on the ground I did to put these things on.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: JBA True Dual Install

ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

With the cheaper prices of the JBA True Duals w/ H-pipe on ebay, I figure a lot of people will be installing these soon. I installed mine today and there were some issues that came up I thought I would relate in the hopes others can avoid them. I apologize if some of these sound obvious, but here goes anyway:

- Test fit every slip connection before putting the pipes on the car. I had one pipe that looked perfectly round, but wasn't belled out enough for the other pipe to go in. I had to rent an exhaust spreader to make it work - after taking the pipe back off the car.

- While test fitting the connections, its a good idea to mark the inner pipe with a Sharpie when it is fully seated. This way you know the pipe is bottomed out when it's on the car.

- The instructions are pretty good, but they are a little vague on which H-pipe is the D/S and which is the P/S. The pipes are bent nearly the same and are not marked. According to the tech guy at JBA: lay the pipes on the ground with the x-over pipes flat and the bends should point slightly upward. The H-pipes are a tight fit going on, so it may be worth it to loosen the right cat pipe to make it easier.

As far as the looks and sound go, the pipes look great coming out the back - no V-engine should ever come without dual exhaust. The sound is good, not at all ricey, and it isn't too loud cruising with the windows down. Definitely noticable when getting on it though. The car does feel quicker, but that may be wishful thinking after all that laying on the ground I did to put these things on.
not wishful thinking... you probably picked up around 10RWHP!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

o yeh at rpm outlet I couldnt believe it but they have it for 469 shipped!

Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 AM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it's great to see the prices start to come down on some of our parts. I paid $650+ for the same "H" dual system when they first came out. I just added JBA's shorty headers because I picked them up for $199 on E-bay. Then I took them down to a commercial coater and had them ceramic coated for $80. Under $300 beats the $600 they were 12 months ago. Even if they don't pick up more than a few HPs, they look great and sound a little more throaty. Now, if only the X-Charger would drift down a few hundred $$$.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Cayuse

Yeah, it's great to see the prices start to come down on some of our parts. I paid $650+ for the same "H" dual system when they first came out. I just added JBA's shorty headers because I picked them up for $199 on E-bay. Then I took them down to a commercial coater and had them ceramic coated for $80. Under $300 beats the $600 they were 12 months ago. Even if they don't pick up more than a few HPs, they look great and sound a little more throaty. Now, if only the X-Charger would drift down a few hundred $$$.
you got a clip with the shorties on? I hav eyet to hear a 4.0 with shorties just with long tubes. Im gonna get shorties too probably next thing i buy.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

No sound clip at this time. I'm one of those mid-forties guys who have my kids show me the techno stuff. But, Hamid posted a number of sound clips here on the forum and he has the JBA dual set up with shorties. For $199 on E-Bay, they're worth it for eye candy alone.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Spanky27usA

How is the sound at cruising speed inside the car with the windows up? I have Flowmasters that resinate inside the car terribly.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

No resonating so far - just a tiny bit of vibration. Off throttle they are absolutely quiet. At WOT they are throaty enough to be noticed, but not too loud that you can't carry on a conversation. I can't wait for the pipe coating to burn off though.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 AM
satnslvr05

I installed this same setup on my car and I love it, except for one thing that I hoping somebody might be able to help me with. I get a rattle from the passenger side pipe when I am first pulling out or at cruising speeds. It is really annoying. I had the car up on a lift and found a small spot where i tlooked like the over-axle pipe was tapping against the body. So I un bolted everything and managed to get the pipe to slide forward some, but I still have a tapping noise. I talked to JBA about it and they told me it might be beads left over from the welding process inside the muffler. Thats definately NOT the issue. I am thinking it might have something to do with the rubber isolators. Any thought/suggestions?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:15 PM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

There is a TSB for exhaust rattle from the mounts on the cat pipes that involves putting a couple of hose clamps around the rubber mounts. Click the link.

Rattle TSB

Quick Reply: JBA True Dual Install