Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Gear noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:26 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear noise

Hey,

I hear alot of gear noise comming from my stang. Most notably if I am in neutral with the clutch fully out. I hear this whirring sound which I do not hear with other cars. Other things I have heard is sound while shifting gears as well as a clunking sound if I am a little hard on the clutch. It's not enough noise that I am concerned but when I take her in to the dealer to look at something, i'll have them take a peek. Has anyone else observed this?

I have read that It has alot to do wit hthe lack of sound insulation near and around the tranny. Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:55 PM
finch00
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gear noise

i think i have all of those noises too! however i have no idea if its normal or not
Old 11-28-2006, 07:23 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat

Hey,

I hear alot of gear noise comming from my stang. Most notably if I am in neutral with the clutch fully out. I hear this whirring sound which I do not hear with other cars. Other things I have heard is sound while shifting gears as well as a clunking sound if I am a little hard on the clutch. It's not enough noise that I am concerned but when I take her in to the dealer to look at something, i'll have them take a peek. Has anyone else observed this?

I have read that It has alot to do wit hthe lack of sound insulation near and around the tranny. Can anyone confirm?
all those sounds are normal. the whirring sound is a synchro. that clunk is because our tranny moves way too much and kinda jolts if you engage too hard. our tranny is extremely noisey. don't worry about those sounds, they are normal, but if a new sound develops be worried.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat

Hey,

acrokat I have had a few manual cars in the past and now currently have a 06 5spd MT and no problem with noises or clunking, I would just take it in for a check up at your dealership to check it out. One other thing test drive another Mustang from a dealership and see what it sounds like compared to yours.