Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Throttle body bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 AM
james4litre

Default Throttle body bypass?

Not sure if this thread exists, but I really dont understand why ford would heat the throttle body. Whats the point of this? Ive heard it was to keep it from icing but is that for like the ones in -20 degree weather? I live in Ga, is it safe to do the bypass? Why is it in danger of icing? are there any drawbacks to doing this, what was ford's reasoning? thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 09:50 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Throttle body bypass?

ORIGINAL: james4litre

Not sure if this thread exists, but I really dont understand why ford would heat the throttle body. Whats the point of this? Ive heard it was to keep it from icing but is that for like the ones in -20 degree weather? I live in Ga, is it safe to do the bypass? Why is it in danger of icing? are there any drawbacks to doing this, what was ford's reasoning? thanks
On the 2005's, you can by-pass the TB -

https://mustangforums.com/m_2220387/tm.htm
Old 11-29-2006, 10:22 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: james4litre

In extreme cold the TB can ice up causing it to stick... and it can stick in the OPEN position... apparently this happened on a truck, there was an accident and Ford got sued... sooooooo... they came up with the idea to heat the TB to prevent it from icing up...

Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 AM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

yep thats why i might put it back for the winter
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fitbikeco

yep thats why i might put it back for the winter
+1 didnt do this because winter doesnt exist here but i left the old hoses connected to the throttle body and clamped them off to the side and used a new fuel injector hose to do the by pass so its easy to switch it bakc on if i need too.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:28 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Im leaving mine off for the winter...Ill let ya know how it goes....if i dont respond...youll know.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 AM
james4litre

thats stupid, what a terrible solution, heat the air that goes into the tb! wow, I think ill do the bypass and take my chances, if it sticks i honestly wouldnt notice for a while cause my throttles open most of the time anyways, but id prolly just push in the clutch and hit the ignition. I live in Ga so i think im safe, thanks guys
Old 11-30-2006, 03:01 AM
james4litre

one more question, should I plug the inlet outlet holes on the throttle body? If I plug them I think it will keep in the heat ( I read something in an earlier thread about convection which I thought only occured with temperatures this low w/ liquids but I guess the gas in their could expand)
, but If I leave them open Im afraid of mositure. Im thinking about running a short tube between two holes in the throttle body, what do you guys think
Old 11-30-2006, 03:26 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

left mine open..should be fine
Old 11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

you coul always cut the left over hose and get some clamps and clamp it down on the inlet and outlet. That should work fine but i dont think its neccesary

Quick Reply: Throttle body bypass?