Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortech, Procharger, or Xcharger

Old 12-02-2006, 05:15 PM
graves0777
1st Gear Member

Default Vortech, Procharger, or Xcharger

I might be joining the SC crowd soon and I was wondering if the Procharger and Vortech were harder or about the same difficulty as the Xcharger to install. I have heard the X has been done by some on a weekend. I know all of them are going to be a pretty big challenge but I was just wondering how hard the install would be. If it is possible to do yourself or if it has to be done by a shop. I am hoping to do this around christmas, since i will be down in FL visiting. Thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:27 PM
bztz4m
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech, Procharger, or Xcharger

Well on my Vortech the shop that installed it took 3 days plus the time to install and wire the gauges. After having the Vortech for the last few months I think I should have got the X-Charger since most of my driving is in the city so it is rare that I can really get on it.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:48 PM
graves0777
1st Gear Member

Well I found a really good price on a vortech and I live out in Indiana in the middle of nowhere so there is plenty of open road. Its all straitaway and there is a track a few miles from my house. But I dont know yet and havent made up my mind. I was also looking at the gauge pods, has anyone done it themselves?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:48 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

i was going to get the procharger with the upgrade to the d1sc on rpmoutlet.com but i gotta save up first for the pistons, cams, and heads i wanna build up the engine first.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:15 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

What do you want to do with your car?

1. Drag race?
2. Street race?
3. Snap your neck at stoplights?
4. Some combination of above?

Only with these questions answered can we figure out your options...
Old 12-03-2006, 11:52 AM
graves0777
1st Gear Member

Well all of the above execpt for the street race. That isnt a possibility, I may be young still but I am not dumb anymore lol. Well I think I am leaning towards the Vortech b/c I have gotten a pretty good price quote on the install at MRT, and i have gotten a really good price on buying the unit by it self. Does anyone know how hard it is to install by yourself, well I would have help, but I am no mechanic. I would be saving a good 700 hundred by doing it by myself but I know MRT is a really good company and I have only heard good things.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: graves0777

Well all of the above execpt for the street race. That isnt a possibility, I may be young still but I am not dumb anymore lol. Well I think I am leaning towards the Vortech b/c I have gotten a pretty good price quote on the install at MRT, and i have gotten a really good price on buying the unit by it self. Does anyone know how hard it is to install by yourself, well I would have help, but I am no mechanic. I would be saving a good 700 hundred by doing it by myself but I know MRT is a really good company and I have only heard good things.

I can tell you, MRT will treat your right! There is very very few people i trust the Mistress to... Scott and MRT is on the top of the list!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

I would say the X Charger is the easiest, second would be the ProCharger and third would be the Vortech due to the oil tap into the front of motor and the air to water system ( alittle more time consuming) vs the above systems.

Graves that price MRT ($700.00) on the Vortech is quoting you is a very fair price (as you know) for the install and if that includes them tuning it I wouldn’t even think about a installing it your self at that point then the price is a no brainier from MRT.

If you install yourself then tuning depending on the shop could cost you in the hundreds alone.

It’s hard to find a good shop and one you can trust with their skill level and on your wallet so I would also keep that in mind. According to John seems like any problems in the future (or your needs) they will take care of you and it correctly.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 PM
graves0777
1st Gear Member

Thats what I am thinking too. I am leaning towards MRT doing the install. The tune is not included but ill talk to them about it, I am also looking into getting the MRT back louvers installed so Ill probably do everything at once.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: graves0777

Thats what I am thinking too. I am leaning towards MRT doing the install. The tune is not included but ill talk to them about it, I am also looking into getting the MRT back louvers installed so Ill probably do everything at once.

Regardless of which way you go, I ALWAYS recommend a custom dyno tune! It's really the only way to get the most out of your supercharger/turbo and gives you the peace of mind that you've got a proper tune...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortech, Procharger, or Xcharger