Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Taking the plunge!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

Default Taking the plunge!

Hi All,

I've been idle this past fall with mods. I, like most of you, have about a million things that I want to do with my car, but between money, time, and "what to get first", I really haven't done much. Well, my fortunes were good a few weeks ago, when I won $700 dollars at my company's Christmas party. So, you know where the money was going to getspent I was going back and forth between doing appearance mods or engine/exhaust mods. For the appearance, I was going to go with custom racing stripes (bumper to bumper), honeycomb panel for the back trunk, and side louvers. For the engine/exhaust mods, it was between the SCT X Cal2 w/C&L intake from Evolution or True Dual exhaust.

Well, I made my decision last night. I decided to go with dual exhaust for my Mustang. My car is in the shop right now getting True Duals with Flowmaster 40s. My cousin referred me to a local performance shop where he gets stuff done for his 86 Monte Carlo SS. This place does custom exhausts, suspensions, engine work, etc.I always wanted a car with dual exhaust, so this is why I'm doing it. Later, I will get the SCT/C&L installed (when I get more money). I will post some pics when I get the car back. I hope I made a good decision with this!

Dom
Old 12-29-2006, 05:06 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Taking the plunge!

Congrats!!! True duals? Will you have a cross over pipe of some type (Y, X, H)? I strongly reccomend it, going straight from the headers to the mufflers can cause some high pitched drone with out a cross over of some type.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 AM
jude69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Congrats!!! True duals? Will you have a cross over pipe of some type (Y, X, H)? I strongly reccomend it, going straight from the headers to the mufflers can cause some high pitched drone with out a cross over of some type.
Thanks Rygen.

To answer your question about the cross over pipe, I'm not sure. Here's the scoop. I had told the mechanic that I wanted to do duals, and he said he could set me up no problem. I told him that I wanted something aggressive and that I had heard a lot of positive things about Flowmasters. I dropped off the car this morning, and it's ready by mid-afternoon. I go to pick it up around 4:00pm (I'm in a rush btw). I pull into the lot and I see my car parked out front. I immediately see the tips of the exhaust and it looks great. Dave, the mechanic, comes out to talk to me. I tell him that it looks great. He grabs the keys and says, "Wait until you hear it". He starts up my car, and I'm blown away by the sound. He then revs the engine a little, and it sounds even better. I'm so freaking exciting at this point that I don't even know what questions to ask him. I just want to drive the car. To make a long story short, I go inside to pay and away I go. I don't even have a breakdown on what the hell I got! I was quoted the day before of a price of $575 dollars for everything whichwas OK with me. Tomorrow, I have to look under the car to see if I notice a cross over pipe.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with this. It's like I'm driving another car. It sounds amazing. It's loud, but not in a bad way. I can't really explain it, but it just sounds aggressive. Tonight, when I got back, I had my wife drive the car down the street and around the corner, so that I could hear it. WOW! It sounded to my ears like a Mustang GT. When my wife left my street and went down the next street behind my house, I could hear it. I think she likes it too.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning to post. I'll also see if I can get a sound clip/video clip of it in action too.

Dom

Old 12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinkin' that if it sounds that good, you probably got some kind of crossover. Although my car has an X-pipe and I have never run it without one, I've heard other guys say that they sound pretty bad without either an X or H.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:04 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

I checked under the car today. Looks like an H pipe. I just took some pics. They are too large to upload. I need to make them smaller. I'll be back with the pictures.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:15 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

Here are the pics!

[IMG]local://upfiles/39902/C966D2C030C949D6B88AB3A34C1E7E2E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2006, 07:17 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

Seems like I can only upload one picture at a time. I'll just submit two more posts with pics. Sorry about that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39902/C0D7672DF9C643F19DC82DE74A5DB2F5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2006, 07:19 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

Another one.

Update: Forgive me about the file sizes and format. I had to use Adobe Photoshop to make the images smaller. This last one seems blown up. I figure out another way I guess. Did the upload size of images change since say 5 months ago or so?

Old 12-30-2006, 07:26 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Looks good man.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

It looks awesome, Congrats!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking the plunge!