Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

First Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Default First Modifications

I want to start the first modifications to my car.
-CAI
-Exhaust
-tuner

As far as I understand these are the first places i should go to for mods.

I've looked around for a CAI, What do you think of the K&N Typhoon? Is there a better guy out there, or is it really just a matter of preference?

The exhuast that I seem to like the most was the MRT Aeroturbine axle-back.
I think I've pretty much made up my mind about that one, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Do i need to tune the car for the CAI, or is that not really necessary?

I was thinking about an SCT Xcal, but hell, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person right now, and I have doubts that theres any shops around where I live (MA) that will do that sort of thing for me.
I'm just getting myself aquainted with modding my car, so excuse my ingorance.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First Modifications

well as far as intakes/tuners go, it would be best to get a package of the two. the two top performers are the Tunable Inductions intake and the C&L intake.

c&l package can be bought here http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang2005v6/

TI package can be bought here
http://tunableinduction.com/

both come with the xcal already tuned. you would get a bit of extra power by getting the car dyno tuned, but it is not necessary, you can just use the tunes that it is sent out with. that, from what i hear, gives the most noticable power gain especially on an automatic.

i have the mrt axle back and i LOVE it, but i love loud. if you don't want really loud, i would not reccomend it, but so far it seems it gives the best power gains of all the singles, and it sounds damn good. happy modding.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

well as far as intakes/tuners go, it would be best to get a package of the two. the two top performers are the Tunable Inductions intake and the C&L intake.

c&l package can be bought here http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang2005v6/

TI package can be bought here
http://tunableinduction.com/

both come with the xcal already tuned. you would get a bit of extra power by getting the car dyno tuned, but it is not necessary, you can just use the tunes that it is sent out with. that, from what i hear, gives the most noticable power gain especially on an automatic.

i have the mrt axle back and i LOVE it, but i love loud. if you don't want really loud, i would not reccomend it, but so far it seems it gives the best power gains of all the singles, and it sounds damn good. happy modding.
Thank you so much.
That makes things alot easier.

I'm going to have to research the xcal a little more,
I don't even know how to use it, and there doesn't seem to be any shops around here that do either...
Anybody know of any shops in the boston area?

Oh and, whats a dyno tune?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

a tune is changiing the timing/fuel mapping/shift points (for auto) etc. it just alters some of the parameters of the computer controlling your engine (ecu) to give better performance and on most cars (including ours) is a very good mod.

when a shop "tunes" your car for you, they put it on a dynamometer usually. this device measures horsepower and torque so the tuner can get the maximum performance out of the tune while still being safe for the engine. the tunes that the xcal are shipped with from the places i listed are more general than a dyno tune and will be a bit less aggressive so it is safe for all the stangs (since temperatures and everything vary from place to place and every engine is a bit different). a dyno tune will yeild better gains, but from what i have heard from everyone on the site, these pre-made tunes from both places i listed are as good as it gets without a dyno tune and you would not be dissapointed with them. This is my next mod. I beleive the xcal plugs into the little spot ummm i think its under the steering wheel? the diagnostics port...you just plug it in there and "flash" in the tune. it's almost like using a remote on your tv in a way to change the options. you could get simple directions from whover you buy it from and it will explain how to change to the tunes that come with the xcal. it really isn't that complicated, i have experience with tuners, not the xcal specifically, but if you were to order an xcal II/intake package, it would most likely come with directions that you would 100% understand and if you didn't most of us here could help you or whoever you buy it from would most likely lead you thru it step by step if you called. good luck man and if you have any questions just shoot me a pm or post again.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:05 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Awesome, thanks.