Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Mileage-improving modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
FPN004

Default Mileage-improving modifications?

Greetings all! I just ordered my brand-spankin' new Windveil Blue V6 last week, and already I'm starting to think of mods that I want to put on it. It's going to be a straight-up street car, so I'm not going for anything serious in regards to performance (but a little bit of punch never hurt, now did it?). My main focus is getting the best possible fuel mileage without any DROP in my performance, but if I can get a bit of a boost then I won't complain.

Unfortunately, I'm on a rather limited budget at the moment. So what all is out there for me?

Thanks for the help,

Pete
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mileage-improving modifications?

I average 16-20 city. That's straight stop & go. On the highway my best has been 28.2. It's funny you'll find as soon as youget going without constant stops, mpg goes right up to 23-24. I can't help you with mods as you asked although I did hear those Tornado things you put in the air intake tubeare bogus for better gas mileage. (Mythbusters)
Old 02-22-2007, 04:41 PM
justiniida
1st Gear Member

Miles all depend on how you drive the car, I get 21 MPG but I drive it like a grandpa until I get in the want to go fast mode :] I have friends that get 15 MPG though.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

CAI is supposed to help i think. but the tornado vortex things are ****...its true
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 AM
FastMustang06
1st Gear Member

I transferred my Hot Inazma Hypervoltage System to my 2006 mustang today with the hope that it will help with the mileage efficiency. To my surprise, my mustang is now running great with a little pull and cryspier throttle response better than what I experienced with my C&L CAI and AA tune! My RPM has also gone up to 1500 during idle.

Of course, this response can be secondary only to my CAI and tune upgrade but I'm happy to share it with y'all! I'm still monitoring my mileage and so far I noticed that in continuous highway driving I can reach 30mpg and on city driving I can only get 26mpg! It gets worst when I'm sitting in the traffic light because the average mpg goes down quite a little faster like .2 mpg.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

drive straight to a honda dealership and buy a civic hybrid, its a mustang, gas milage should be the least of your consern

CAI and a tune, if you do lots of city driving, 4.10 gears will actually help improve milage, but you will loose about 2 mpg on the highway
Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
FPN004

mustangman, just because it's a Mustang doesn't mean that I should resign myself to getting utterly craptacular gas mileage. If I can increase my fuel economy without sacrificing performance, then it would be something that I wouldn't mind looking in to.

In your opinion, what should be my major concern? I already know that I love driving in general, and driving a Mustang just makes it that much better. I'm not planning on turning this car into a racer. I wouldn't mind personalizing it a little bit, and if I can save some money down the road then I'd like to take advantage of it. I mean no insult or disrespect, I would honestly like to know what you think I should concern myself with (this applies to everyone out there: please feel free to share your opinions, I would like to hear them!).

Thanks to everyone willing to help out the new guy...

Pete
Old 02-25-2007, 09:38 AM
jettblack06
1st Gear Member

right with you fpn, no reason to spend more money in gas...thats money for your toy going right out the window. i would never own a honda but im glad a full size car like ours gets the gas mileage it does.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:07 AM
FastMustang06
1st Gear Member

Put a NOS when you race and drive stock for better mileage! My mustang is my daily ride and with the gas prices nowadays it's a little too much especially when I'm driving 100 miles daily to work. I wanna keep a NOS as a reserve HP adrenaline in case I get challenged in the highways!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

when i put a intake that didnt need a tune my mpg went up a little,
however, the intake's which are like $250, will cost more than the extra that you will be paying in gas

hope that helps

Quick Reply: Mileage-improving modifications?