Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

More GROWL for the wife's V6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
scooper77515

Default More GROWL for the wife's V6?

These cars sound so wimpy.

They have decent power for 6 cylinder cars, but I have yet to hear a really aggressive sounding exhaust setup.

I have had 4 cylinder engines with more of an aggressive sound than what I have heard on most of these mustangs. Including a Suzuki Samurai, 280ZX, and Chevy Luv Pickup all with a glasspack and exhaust exiting out the back with the 'pack as far forward as possible.

I am guessing that the muffler on the mustang is too far to the back of the car, giving it a VW sound, just louder...Kinda like what the ricer cars are doing with the muffler right before the tail pipe.

Has anyone tried to move the muffler further forward with a longer exhaust pipe AFTER the muffer to give it a deeper tone?

Keep in mind, I am talking about a DEEP TONE, not a loud exhaust.

And hope I don't offend anyone, as I have seen many trying to make their exhaust sound better. I just think it can be done with a more deep and aggressive tone.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: More GROWL for the wife's V6?

Get a GT take off. They're cheap and they sound great.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 PM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

I swapped the muffler with a GT muffler. It is about a 20 minute job and it sounds great compared to the stock one. I found mine for $89 on ebay for the pair. It's definately worth it. Gives you a little more bottom end power too. There are some sound clips on here if you search for them.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:56 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

If you want an aggresive sound out of a single, I would look into the single MRT muffler.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Bandit111
2nd Gear Member

Flowmaster sells hushpowers which may accomplish what you want.One type is a resonator and the other a muffler.It is a mid pipe design,but i have yet to know anyone that has one on a stang.You could be the first.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

I have a stock v6 manual and when I go through the gears I think the car sounds pretty good .I think it's a little louder than the average car.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:00 AM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

I dont know if I would calll it wimpy, but there is always room for improvement.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:13 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

I just today put on a Flowmaster Super40, and it sounds awesome! The guy that installed itwelded a 1 pound piece of steel to the back topside to eliminate drone and help stabilize the muffler andreduce any rattle. He said it basically does what the balancer that was on the factory setup does. I must say it sounds great, no drone whatsoever and it growls when you gas it...and believe this, he did it all for $120 bucks, of course the Flowmaster was on sale for $70 bucks, $20 for the nice stainless tip and $30 to remove the factory setup, cut off the muffler and weld onto the factory slip pipe,and the factorymounts, it slid perfectly into place and looks perfect.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:28 AM
lazybiscut

i put true dual flowmasters, and it sounds magnificent

Old 03-25-2007, 03:35 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I've got a Flowmaster American Thunder single pipe, and I'd say it sounds very agressive. It's not overly loud, but when you walk on it, it definitely gets you some looks, and it is a very deep, muscle-car sounding muffler. And at idle, that muffler sounds really mean, just rumbling away.

If you're just looking for deep tone, I'd just stick with a single pipe. The duals will be louder, but you said you weren't really looking for that, and they're more than double the cost of a single (two mufflers, extra pipes, getting the bumper cut/GT bumper put on, etc). If you pick a good single, you'll still get the mean sound without maximum volume and at much less cost.

The MRTs sound good, but they sound kind of racecar-ish to me, more like a smooth higher pitched noise, and I've heard they're extremely loud. Flowmaster, by comparison, is a bit of a deeper, more growly sound, which is why I went for that on this car. I'd say the Flowmaster sound fits the look of the new Mustangs perfectly. There are also other options for the low mean sound, like Borla, but those are quite a bit more expensive, so that's something for you to look into.

Quick Reply: More GROWL for the wife's V6?