Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MGW shifter for the 4.oL T-5 is in!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

Default MGW shifter for the 4.oL T-5 is in!

Impressions;

1) Install...It was an easy install. After reading their instructions which were too wordy and tended to confusing, I watched their included video (direct rip off of Taco Bill's GT install pics and steps. I hope they asked him first...)The video shows different sequences for the install than the instructions. Read the instructions, throw them away...Go with the video, and/or Taco Bill's pics...

2) Materials and parts....Includes all needed and labled parts, I lost one of the 6mm lock washers and had to substitiute. They could use a few extra washers...They were also just a tad short on dynomat for my taste.

3) Adjustability....Major kudo's here. After setting basic turn for the throw (0 turns= 15% shorter than stock to 10 turns max at 50% shorter than stock) I settled for 6 turns. My disclaimer is that I am coming from a Saleen short shifter block that set the shift 25% shorter than stock so that what I am used to before this install. With the shift rod all the way down on the adjustment block the shifter was too short a throw, i raised the rod to bottom of the rod level with the adjustment block. and the throw is just a little shorter that saleen block. I could probably do a 5 turn setting to get it just the same. But i like the shorter than saleen throw. This is something they do not mention, but after setting the turns on the underside you can further tune the throw by raising and lowereing the rod from the top side under the boot.

4) Shifting....(this is what we've all been waiting for.) with all due respect to the others who have installed this shifter from just the stock boat oar....There is zer0 slop...The feel is strong, tight, almost no vibration, takes more arm strength and is somewhat unforgiving, smooth and to me overall very quick for a T-5.

And now a word about the Mustang "two-step" or bump in the road when shifting...

My install went from a defineate hesitation or "speed bump" from neutral to in gear to a barely noticeable hesitation between neutral and in gear. I can now powershift from gear to gear with a straight thrust and only slight resistance in the middle of the shift...Not perfect, but for a T-5 ...

Caveats here include a full RP SYnchromax swap of the tranny fluid and Kbrace and torque limiters. This is different than the others so far.

First gear and reverse are much stiffer and vauge feeling (less notchy Click-in) due to the strong centering spring but once you get used to no slop you can find it easily.

First to second...Is to me a major improvement over the Saleen and stock, There seems to be no doubt exactly where the shifter is heading and it slides into second, the more forceful the shift (at 4,000+ rpm) the more the shift feels that it can be "made to submit" to your motion.

Second to third...This is where the reputation and design really shines...all I can say is WOW...there again is no doubt whatsoever whether you are going to make the shift or not at any RPM (caveat here is I do have K-brace and torque limiters)..Just aim for the dash board and the shifter will lock in like a velvet lined V to third.

Third to fourth...Is like coming home after a long trip. Almost no effort straight back into a perfect slot...Better than second to third.

Fourth to fifth...This still needs a little effort on my part to get right due to the strong spring, to me there is a tad too much angle force needed to find 5th. I think with a few days of using it I will re-train and the spring will loosen up a bit and there will be no issues.

Downshifting is much easier that it was before due to the no slop factor. I have always had an issue with 5th to 4th revving to high rpm's to make a corner and power out. seems like the stock and saleen to a lesser extent would "jam" somewhere between the gears and not drop smoothly. The MGW so far has had no issues but I have yet to do a panic-screaming tire-full power "Oh my God" downshift, so jury is out on this one.

Overall impression...

Great product. If anything can be done to "tame" the T-5, so far this shifter has shown some real strong moves in that direction. If you are going to race and don't want any distractions or dont want to ever be suprised by a T-5 "burp" this shifter seems to be the real deal. MGW seems extremely interested in taking on the challenge of the rockcrusher T-5.

I have driven several variations of shifters now in the 4.0 T-5's and This is the best one by far due to its solid aluminum block, strong spring, high quality machine work and total adjustability. It is not just a "short" shifter, but seems to be a real race bred improvement.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 PM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MGW shifter for the 4.oL T-5 is in!

Wow,
What did you do, call in sick to work and install the shifter the second you got it from the post man? lol
This is what I have been anxiously waiting to here. I am ording the shifter first thing tomarrow morning.
Looks like I'll have to give them a call as the new shifter is not listed on the website yet.
It sounds like it is not as smooth as the the one for the GT, but I wouldn't expect it to be.
Still sounds like a vast improvement from stock.
I have a few questions.
Was the installation similar to the GT shifter installation?
Did you run into any problems?
Would you suggest that I buy some extra dynomat from somewhere?
Also, non shifter related.
It sounds like you have installed a kbrace and torque limiters.
I hear that they remove the twist from the drive train to help shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Do they help with any of the clunkyness or lurching?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harlanb1

Wow,
What did you do, call in sick to work and install the shifter the second you got it from the post man? lol
This is what I have been anxiously waiting to here. I am ording the shifter first thing tomarrow morning.
Looks like I'll have to give them a call as the new shifter is not listed on the website yet.
It sounds like it is not as smooth as the the one for the GT, but I wouldn't expect it to be.
I have a few questions.
I hear that they remove the twist from the drive train to help shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Thanks
1) the install was almost exactly like the GT install so excellently done by Taco Bill
2) The only problem i ran into was I should have put the dust boot on before I dropped the shifter into the hole. It was a little awkward doing so after.
3) The included dynomat was about 10"x8". When all the cutting and splicing was done I could have used a few more square inches. But I was pretty liberal with it.
4)The Kbrace and limiters will do nothing for the clunkiness and lurching off the start due to the stiff clutch and slow synchro's of the T-5. they will help keep the engine in line under high load so the shifter arm does not bind when attempting shifts above 4000 rpm. The shifter arm can bind in both directions, vertically and horizontally. The MGW shifter pivots vertically on an aluminum bushing on the transmission connection when shifting, eliminating the vertical bind, the torque limiters eliminate the horizontal bind by restricting engine torque twist. What helped me the most for startup "lurchiness" was RP synchromax fluid change to get things rolling smoother and a good low end torque tune to over come stiff clutch syndrome.

Luck!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: billybix76

Wow,
I have a few questions.

Thanks
1) The install was almost exactly like the GT install so excellently illustrated by Taco Bill
2) The only problem i ran into was I should have put the dust boot on before I dropped the shifter into the hole. It was a little awkward doing so after.
3) The included dynomat was about 10"x8". When all the cutting and splicing was done I could have used a few more square inches. But I was pretty liberal with it.
4)The Kbrace and limiters will do nothing for the clunkiness and lurching off the start due to the stiff clutch and slow synchro's of the T-5. they will help keep the engine in line under high load so the shifter arm does not bind when attempting shifts above 4000 rpm. The shifter arm can bind in both directions, vertically and horizontally. The MGW shifter pivots vertically on an aluminum bushing on the transmission connection when shifting, eliminating the vertical bind, the torque limiters eliminate the horizontal bind by restricting engine torque twist. What helped me the most for startup "lurchiness" was RP synchromax fluid change to get things rolling smoother and a good low end torque tune to over come stiff clutch syndrome.

BTW I did leave work a little early yesterday to do the install....

Luck!
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info billyibix.
I am ording the shifter today.
Now I need to figure out what my next mod will be.
What do you think about single piece driveshaft?
So many mods - so little money
Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info billyibix.
I am ording the shifter today.
Now I need to figure out what my next mod will be.
What do you think about single piece driveshaft?
So many mods - so little money
First mod I would do next would Tuner/CAI package, probably from Justin at VMP tuning. Best bang for the buck of any mods... then do the suspension mods...You already have the muffler. Then appearance mods..

1) Make it fast
2) Make it more driveable
3) Make it unique and pretty
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Aargh,
I called MGW yesterday.
They do not have the shifter for sale yet.
I need to get it before my wife finds my money and spends it
Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Aargh,
I called MGW yesterday.
They do not have the shifter for sale yet.
I need to get it before my wife finds my money and spends it
I would email george at MGW, that is what I did and I have a beautiful new shifter sitting behind me. It will be installed this weekend !
Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tip laserred,
I will send George at MGW an e-mail.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

Anyone knows when it will be officially released ?

It's still not listed on their website !

Quick Reply: MGW shifter for the 4.oL T-5 is in!