Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
taz9124

Default V6 Driveshaft

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this... do I need to replace the driveshaft. Is there an easy fix... can you get clips for the shaft.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_3932.flv
Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 AM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 Driveshaft

geez, it sounded like it just used the bathroom there >_<
Old 12-30-2007, 11:18 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i was one of the first to blow his driveshaft i think. it happend on the dyno at magnuson after dave and i installed the x charger. the origianal v6 driveshaft has no clips and the potential for failure on a modded car it there. ford has changed the driveshaft and it now has clips but the shaft should be fine with normal use so they probubly not do a recall so yes unless you are still under your 3 yr 36k war you will prob be on the hook for this. if the car is not modded and you are still under try going to the dealer complaining a about a vibration and hopefully they replace it. i know a few have lucked out and done it. if you are going to replace it anyway alot of guys have swaped with aluminum. another would be to check out a drive shaft expert. who knows maybe they might be able to install the clips and check for balance. i know the cups are piened in and it puts little dings in the cup area and the clips may not seat properly. hope some of this info helps
Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
JimC

Yes, there is a "fix" - I have the Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. Lighter, stronger, and the car accelerates much faster. After 2005 Ford changed the clips on the stock driveshaft, but it still has some limits and I found that my 2006had a vibration that would not go away. I put the Shaftmasters onand no vibration, just smooth acceleration and smooth ride.

Definitely was worth the upgrade. Shaftmasters is a site sponsor and their website is www.shaftmasters.com
Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: taz9124

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this... do I need to replace the driveshaft. Is there an easy fix... can you get clips for the shaft.

That might be the most horrible sound I've ever heard. Aluminum DS will run you between $4-500 bones but gurantee that wont happen.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Denny Carlton
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: taz9124

If your looking for the original DS/w clips from a 06' v6 stang. I have one, make me an offer if your interested.
IM me!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:54 PM
taz9124

Thanks guys... think I will go with the aluminum driveshaft... plenty of time to take care of that issue
Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

To reiterate, this is a 2005-only issue, and not all 2005's come without the u-joint clips. You can crawl under your car (safely supported on quality jackstands of course!) to see if your DS has clips or not. Also, there are different driveshafts for auto versus manual.

On my 2006 PP coupe, I replaced the DS with one from PowerHouse. But I race my car at the track, and with 4.10's my DS is spinning much faster through the traps than a stocker running 3.31's. Is it overkill to buy an aftermarket DS? Perhaps, but I feel better with the stronger piece that is spinning <2 feet from my right hip.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:21 PM
skippy1969

I finally had my driveshaft replaced under warranty,after the dealer was stupid and rebuilt my differential TWICE!!!!!! with no fix,imagine that???I told them when I brought it in that it was a driveshaft vibration.But of course they would'nt listen tome even though I was a ford tecnician for 6 years.everytimeI took it in it was the same thing "we can't feel anything out of the ordinary" But what do I know,I mean I've only owned the stang since it was new and right off the car transport with only 2 tenths of a mile on the odo. Finally I got pissed and told the service manager that I was going to take him for a ride.He felt the vibration and relayed that to the tech and they finally ordered a driveshaft.I don't trust that pile of crap driveshaft,so when my warranty is gone I'm going with aaluminum shaft.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimC

Yes, there is a "fix" - I have the Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. Lighter, stronger, and the car accelerates much faster. After 2005 Ford changed the clips on the stock driveshaft, but it still has some limits and I found that my 2006had a vibration that would not go away. I put the Shaftmasters onand no vibration, just smooth acceleration and smooth ride.

Definitely was worth the upgrade. Shaftmasters is a site sponsor and their website is www.shaftmasters.com
Jim... you could actually feel a performance benefit from this??? How hard was the install?

Quick Reply: V6 Driveshaft