Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle Back

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

Default Axle Back

I bought a GT takeoff axle back off ebay. Im putting the right side on for now and saving the left side until I can fugure a way to build a true dual system.

I emailed Volant and asked about a intake. No reply yet.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:40 AM
6 Banger

Default RE: Axle Back

You will love the sound of the GT muffler on your V6. Before you put it on, look inside (from the tail pipe side), and see the difference between the two mufflers (V6 versus GT). Gt Is much more open and free flowing. Make sure you have at least a 1/4" clearance around the tail pipe after you get it installed. It gets red hot and will burn and melt your valence. Stick with the single exhaust, duals with loose power due to insufficient back pressure and the computer will try to correct this on it's own and makes less power. It's more complicated to do mods with this new type of computer. Don't believe all the power gains that you will read from the manufacturers that are selling you high perf parts. Only a dyno will tell the real gains. good luck!!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 AM
n47h4n

If you replace the stock with a better single axle back, do you need to tune the car?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

im thinking about putting on the mac single unit any info?
Old 04-12-2005, 03:28 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

I currently have the right side GT muffler on my V6... it sounds great! It doesn't hit the bumper, but sits a bit off to the right. I've ordered headers from MAC and decided I'd get the matching single axle-back. The axle-back arrived today and I'll install it with the headers. It's a great looking muffler, but the tip is 4 inches in diameter, which may be a little big. It's definetly bigger than the GT's (hoping it doesn't look ricey). And, it looks like it will stick out the back as far as the GT's. I'll post sound clips after the install.

So, if I really dig the MAC, I'll probably sell the GT muffler on ebay.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:29 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Oh... one more thing about the MAC shorty headers and the single axle-back... MAC told me they produce 23 hp!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:57 AM
6 Banger

You will gain nothing by adding a aftermarket single exhaust in place of your stock pipe. Changing the muffler will give you a much better sound (I prefer the stock GT take offs), but unless you put it on a dyno will won't know if there is any power gain or not and if there is, it would be small. The part of the exhaust that would gain the most as far as power is concerned is the 2 cats up by the firewall. If someone offers a more free flowing converter(s) this would be your best bet. As far as headers are concerned, take a look at your stock exhaust manifolds, they are very much shaped like headers as Ford did alot in this area for more stock H.P. gains. I doubt very, very much that Mac headers will produce 23 H.P. just on their headers alone. Sounds like another hook em' and reel em' in gimmick. Lets see their dyno results on the '05 V6 they tested (not the GT results). Please be careful of what manufacturers claim as H.P. gains, ask to see the dyno results, and remember Ford CAN and WILL void your warranty if they feel your add-ons where the cause of any failure. Same goes for MMR's Hot air intake...oh I mean Cold? air intake, they claim no re-flash or "tune" is required, but don't bet on it as it has been tested on other threads/posts and it does create a "leaner Fuel/air ratio" which could lead to internal engine damage later on down the road. So don't be offended when your dealer laughs at you when you show him the paperwork that came with your add-ons that claim it "WON'T" void your factory warranty......buyers be ware!!!! Hope this answers some questions.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:20 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Yeah... good advice... a baseline dyno before the install would be wise.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:49 PM
toronado

ORIGINAL: 6 Banger

Stick with the single exhaust, duals with loose power due to insufficient back pressure and the computer will try to correct this on it's own and makes less power.

there must be a way to install both GT take-off mufflers on a V6 without losing power right? like you, I have installed a single GT muffler on my V6 and I like how it sounds. I honestly have no idea whether it affected my performance for worse or better.

I read another post that said installing an H-pipe like the one on the GT is what v6 owners should do if they want to install dual GT mufflers. I have a much more simple and less expensive idea and based on knowing absolutely nothing about cars, exhaust, backpressure, etc - this seems like a great idea to me. [sm=smiley20.gif]

maybe this setup won't cause a power-draining loss of backpressure???

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15478/2E6D889DA7AB4CAB993D4D3EF1D5FDD2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

I bought the takeoffs for the looks. There is very little to gain by spliting the single exhaust into duals. There is also nothing to lose. I just like the looks of duals, I was a kid in the 60s and I like dual exhaust.

Even if I break down and buy the cheesey Mac dual system, Im useing the stock takeoffs, I like my cars quite, Im over the loud thing. I used to drive 70 miles one way to work. For two years I drove a V8 T-bird with flowmasters, by the time I quit that job I was sick of the T-bird and sick of Flowmasters.

From here on out, its whisper quite for me.

Now dont get me wrong, I like my Jim, Jimmy, and Janice loud, the way it was meant to be heard, but exhaust, I dont want to hear it.

Quick Reply: Axle Back