Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 AM
artzillla

Default performance questions

Ok first off I know hardly know anything about engines and stuff like that. I know my way around computers and figured it's time to get into my car. I got the 05 V6 coupe. purely stock except for the video head until and the 2 12's in the trunk.
First thing I was interested in is increasing my take off power. My car has no power from the get go. You can floor it and it slowly accelerates to speed. No burning out or getting thrown back in the seat like I can do with all my other cars. I was told it has something to do with a chip? The dealers at the Ford place told me 2 things.
1. the car has a gas to air mixture part that makes it more economical for mpg. However, I can not find such a part. 2. another dealer threw his hands up in the air and said, " that's electronic transmission for you, it's programed to save you on gas so, you will not be able to peel out" then he laughed at me for wanting to burn out.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so what's the first thing I can do to increase my take off power? I am sure I'll have a ton of questions but, Ill start here. thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: performance questions

haha....you must be a super noob and those salesmen are full of sh*t because they eat bowls of sh*t....... get a custom tuner & intake combo and you will be screeching your tire(s) in no time. vmp, bamachips, brenspeed are the most popular three vendors for a tuner/cai combo. evolution is another shop with good reviews. the combo should cost you under $500 and it will turn your economy stang into a wild stang runnin' free....lol, go to their websites and order online. when your package arrives in the mail, it will be like christmas.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
kaponelb
1st Gear Member

same here wanted the extra little power on my mustang so i bought c&L intake and xcal 2 tuner and gonna order a tune from bamachips lets see the pony wake up
Old 05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

Getting CAI/tune, shorter gears, t-lok will make the car VERY quick, I'd say midway between the stock V6 and the stock GT. Maybe threequarters...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: addison85

Getting CAI/tune, shorter gears, t-lok will make the car VERY quick, I'd say midway between the stock V6 and the stock GT. Maybe threequarters...
+1.....i stated in another thread that my car feels like a 'LIL GT'....lol. its so much quicker and responsive than it was when i bought it. it really feels like a performance car now.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:07 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

I was just so surprised how effective the t-lok was in providing traction. I thought that once I had 3.73s and used my 93race tune, I would never get traction and all that power would go to waste...but now its better than before! Loving every minute of it...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 PM
artzillla

@Sancho. Your so correct I am a super noob. I am just a computer geek trying to have a nice fast car lol. If it was a computer I'd modify it and have a suped up pimp mobile. So let's say I get once of those kits do you think a guy like me could install the parts or, do I have to see a mechanic? I am in the Fontana area do you know a place I can go that would hook up my car with that kit? I'd travel all the way to L.A. Also, after lets say I get the kit and am burning up my tires, what the next thing to look into?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: artzillla

@Sancho. Your so correct I am a super noob. I am just a computer geek trying to have a nice fast car lol. If it was a computer I'd modify it and have a suped up pimp mobile. So let's say I get once of those kits do you think a guy like me could install the parts or, do I have to see a mechanic? I am in the Fontana area do you know a place I can go that would hook up my car with that kit? I'd travel all the way to L.A.
Cold Air Intake and Tune = Yes you could probably do it yourself with some basic hand tools (being a computer geek, you'd probably enjoy playing with the tuner and installing the tune)
Gears and a Tlok = No way.
Also, after lets say I get the kit and am burning up my tires, what the next thing to look into?
Better tires.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:47 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

i'm really surprised at how many people have been saying they can't burn their tires in stock form...i do it on accident sometimes....was really great when i took it for the test drive, when i was bringing it back into the lot i was pulling in and lit em up right there in front of the dealer...he says "hey man, don't you know you're supposed to do that when i can't see ya?" LMAO

i've still gotta get the intake and tune...i thought the c&l + tuner was 600?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: artzillla

@Sancho. Your so correct I am a super noob. I am just a computer geek trying to have a nice fast car lol. If it was a computer I'd modify it and have a suped up pimp mobile. So let's say I get once of those kits do you think a guy like me could install the parts or, do I have to see a mechanic? I am in the Fontana area do you know a place I can go that would hook up my car with that kit? I'd travel all the way to L.A. Also, after lets say I get the kit and am burning up my tires, what the next thing to look into?
you can do the CAI and tune install yourself. In fact, i highyl recommend it. you will grow a stronger bond with your car and a much better understanding of the inner workings. there are of course exceptions but just ask the forum about which you can do yourself or which you should have a shop do. single muffler, CAI, tune......all rather simple installations. good luck and post any other concerns you got.

Quick Reply: performance questions