Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

EXHAUST MERRY CHRISTMAS TIME.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:47 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Exclamation EXHAUST MERRY CHRISTMAS TIME.

Merry Christmas to me, the wife is letting me buy an exhaust. Now, I'm not one to just throw on some sweet mufflers and call it a day. Oh-no, that just won't do it for me. So, I want to go from headers all the way back to the mufflers. I've been looking at headers, the JBA shorty's and the Pypes shorty's look exactly the same. This makes me question whether or not there even is a difference between all of the shorty headers that are offered. If I can score a pair of cheap, but effective headers, what should I get? Next, Catalytic converters. What I would love is to get a sweet catted x-pipe, to eliminate the need to cut the old cats to put a new x-pipe on. So what are the options there? And then, to tie the whole she-bang together, what is the best deal I can get to go from the x-pipe all the way back to two beautiful, awesome, cool, spectacular, FRPP mufflers? I need to have the price kept down but I don't want to cut any corners. HELP!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 AM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

JBA Shorty's and the FRPP duals sound like a perfect match to me. The FRPP duals will cost you $600.00 plus install unless you put them on yourself. Ford charged me $250.00 to put them on, but they are covered under warranty.

I just read an article in Decembers issue of Mustang Monthly about Corsa mufflers. The Corsa RSC mufflers claim to completely eliminate the dreaded "drone" we get from our duals.
I have the FRPP duals with GTB mufflers and I'm happy with the tone and the sound levels.

You might want to check out some X pipes from Pypes, and look the Corsa mufflers if you want to keep the costs down.

Hope this helps you out. Enjoy your duals!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

so it is perfectly fine to use the stock converters?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NuclearMuscle523
so it is perfectly fine to use the stock converters?
Yes. That's what most do. Unless you are looking for high flow cats there is no need to replace them.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

heres what i would do:
1. stick with the stock headers if you really look at them they flow fine, but go with JBA if you really want to change them
2. if you stick with the stocker headers, you might as well keep the cats, its still going to be hard to find a replacement cat that will fit in the system like the stockers and keep the same O2 locations, so that would probably be the hardest thing to find.
3. use the FRPP kit because ford racing is in tandem with ford and designs its parts around the mustang so you know everything will fit, and if you want warrenty on it you can get a ford dealership to do it,but what i did was to install it myself, its no to bad.

i just got my FRPP gtb muffler kit and purchased it for 630 and installed it myself, but i picked it up from the local shop instead of having it shipped. it turned out GREAT. Moderate to-do, but it was very time consuming!!!! 11hrs start to finish w/ 2 people

well worth it!

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 12-31-2008 at 05:28 PM.