Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Hollowed out Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Musckletang
1st Gear Member

Default Hollowed out Converter?

I read on here once that someone "hollowed out" their catalytic converter for track use for better flow. With a vortech on the 4.0 would this help or is headers w/ duals best???? I know it's not legal and worse for the environment BUT a guy told me the converter is the most restrictive part on these Stangs' exhaust save for the muffler. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It would be better to convert to dual exhaust and use some high flow cats. The high flows I'll be putting on with my Kooks headers flow very close to an o/r pipe. The hp difference on even a 600 hp car is only about 1% between the high flows and o/r.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:58 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

high flow cats FTW,
Old 12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Is there a difference in sound with the high flow cats?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:15 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah for sure. They're a lot louder and while they don't sound exactly like o/r, they sound pretty close but are more controlled and not crazy wild.

Here's a video of the MRT high flows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQeLOoY0i-c

That's a GT but you can still get the idea.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well, if you to got money, then just get you a set of the Kooks longtubes for th 4.0 have the Mufflershop around you put on High flow Cats and dual exhaust, proably with a xpipe I would say to, it will help out the rigidity of your pipes. I mean if you got the dough for a Vortech do it right. I mean you will have to have some kinda exhaust to vent all that air. It will pick you up some horses
Old 12-25-2008, 09:29 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Oh wow, I love busting out with my high. perf headphones for these soundclips LOL

That sounds awesome wish my 6er sounded half as good :/ Haha I've been thinking of throwing on some High flow cats for some time now so I can get some more sound from my exhaust. I love the way it sounds now but, a little more noise never hurt nobody

Thinkin' of these

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...converter.html

Or these

http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp-ce...converter.html

Not sure if they'll pass in Cali tho...
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I have heard that High Flows are not the way to go it you are looking for a decent sound out of a 4.0 I have headers and duals but I still have stock cats because I dont want the rice sound to come throught anymore even though I can get Highflows pretty cheap
Old 12-25-2008, 09:47 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'd say stay with an H pipe (or mac prochamber) since you have a V6. The X pipe gives a more raspy higher pitch sound where the H (and prochamber) give a deeper sound. The V6 is already not as deep of a sounding motor as the V8 so I'd be afraid an X on a V6 would sound bad. I already don't like the X on a V8 and I'd probably dislike the X on a V6 even more.

Supposedly the X gives more HP gains than the H but it's not very much and you won't feel it. It's like no more than 5 HP if you're lucky. So that argument doesn't matter.

I've heard some V6 mustangs sound very close to a GT but others I've heard sound more like a riced out honda. So you have to be carefull with exahust choice on the V6.

As far as mufflers go, the MAC Boomtubes like I have sound great on a V6. The Borla axle-backs are another good choice as well.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 12-25-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:11 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZHTxa6e9Q

That's a damn good sounding V6 if I must say so. That one has high flow cats and a mac prochamber.

Also for your listening pleasure, here's my video with MAC boomtubes (the rest of the exhaust is stock for now): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erbt2E3evCc

That'll put your headphones to good use.

Quick Reply: Hollowed out Converter?