Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What's the best cold air intake for a 08 Mustang V6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 AM
injen07
1st Gear Member

Default What's the best cold air intake for a 08 Mustang V6?

I'm currently looking to see what's the best intake for my car. There's a lot of debate between the Volant, K&N, BBK, and other intakes. I mainly like the cold air intake for the sound it produce as well as the little power gains. I heard that Volant had a good set up with protecting the intake from engine heat with its shield. Another thing is the snorkel that reaches closer towards the bumber, which people call a "true cold air intake". Better filter (less dirt) capabilities were also mentioned with the Volant. Which one would mainly be best between all intakes? Which one is louder by the way?

I used to have an Injen cai on my previous car and liked it, but the Injen cai for the V6 Mustangs are almost $100 more than the K&N. I know almost all cold air intakes are almost the same, so I'm not willing to spend $100 more for that. I was thinkning K&N mainly because it's well know, I don't know, just something about it. Still want to know pros and cons between the intake and which one would be best.

Any opinions or experience with these cold air intakes is much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

they are all pretty much the same, just get one with a tune.

i didnt even know injen made an intake for our stangs. learn something new everyday i guess.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I have an Airaid and it works fine. Cheaper than the K&N...
Old 01-01-2009, 05:26 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

the thing with cold air intakes is there really isnt much difference in them. most folks by 1 and are satisfied with it and call it a day, at most, a person may buy 2. No one goes out and buys one after the other until they have tried them all and can give you a unbiased opinion. So most will tell you what brand they bought and say that it is either the best or works great.
oh yeah, if your not getting a tune with the intake, why even bother...

That being said....

many folks say that the C&L is the best, so I bought it. Cant say that I ever tried any others, but it works fine for me. It was one of the most expensive as well.

in the end, get a tune with it or your wasting money.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
JimC

I agree with jd - since whatever we have on our car is probably the only CAI we've bought there is no way to give an unbiased opinion on the "best" one out there (although I happen to think -- in my completely unbiased opinion and uninfluenced by the fact that it is the only CAI I have ever bought for my car -- that my C&L is the best LOL).

Also, don't get one that doesn't require a tune. If you don't have to adjust your tune then that is telling you that you aren't getting anything different on your airflow than the stock set up.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. What a good and cheap tune? I know there's kits with a cold air intake and tune, but it's around $500 I think. Any suggestion?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

little more than 500, but Doug at bamachips has a nice intake/tune combo.

more than just the parts, Doug is a great guy and will be there if you need support (my blower is using his tune).
Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 AM
injen07
1st Gear Member

Cool, thanks. Sounds pricy for the combo, but still a good deal. Can I perhaps get the tune as time passes? I have the money for both, but don't want to spend too much at the time. I know it's best to wait perhaps to get both, but I really want an intake because I miss the sound it produces, like my previous car. If I get an intake, I'm still going to get the tuner for sure to get the proper performance. Any negative affects when the intake is left without being tuned? What site can I find the C&L intakes?
Thanks for the help
Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

C&L requires reflash; you have to get a tune to run it or you risk leaning out and putting the car into limp home mode. on the flip side, any intake that doesnt require a tune isnt worth the money IMO.

if you can only afford one, get the tune, you'll see a much bigger difference in performance (especially throttle lag if you have an auto). not sure what you drove before, but i couldnt really hear my intake when i was n/a anyways.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 AM
injen07
1st Gear Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the info by the way. You've been much much help.

Quick Reply: What's the best cold air intake for a 08 Mustang V6?