Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:07 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 dual GT mufflers how-to w/ pics

one word. clamps!
ORIGINAL: TNT1968

I just put my passenger GT muffler on and I'm waiting for my brackets for the driver's side from Clevenger Ford. They were actually $39.00 and some change apiece and not $35.00, but that still better than the $58.00+ apiece that the local Ford dealer wanted. I ordered bolts as well. BTW not much difference inside the car with the single GT muffler but it is a little rowdier outside the car. When I get the brackets I will get the driver's side relief cut and mount the muffler. I will then take the muffler off and have the muffler shop set me up with a true dual system with H-pipe.They said that it would be about $100.00 for the work. The H-pipe should improve torque.
Thanks for the inspirational thread Tres!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:18 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

For Puleo76:

That's the only pic I have right now. Installation is not bad. The hardest part seemed to be getting all of those like 11 pins out for the hood insulation.. Roush sends you a paper template that you cut outand tape to the hood.It locates off the windshield washer nozzles. You drll something like seven holes and 3M tape goes down the sides and back. Maaco painted mine for $75.00.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Hey, this thread has been brought back from the dead!! The brackets may have gone up in price since it's been about 9 months. Some people have just had the muffler shop provide hangars, it's a lot cheaper but it depends on the muffler shop to get the alignment right.

I've thought about the Roush hood scoop for mine too, I like it! I didn't realize it had 7 fasteners, I thought it just had two and some tape. Well, I guess it won't go flying off the car!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:54 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

I have the Magnaflow Dual Exhaust part # 16650 on order. A friend works at the local Midas shop and is going to install it. I'm just worried about cutting the bumper. I'm afraid I may not get it right; and he seemed kind of shaky about doing it. The how to is great but doesn't really let me know how hard it actually is to get it right (may just be me). Has anyone screwed it up? How do you make sure you have the paper in the exact same spot when you flip it over to the driver's side? Here was my plan:

1. tape on paper with blue painter's tape all the way from mid bumper to the wheel well
2. put marks where the license plate cut-out ends
3. outline the exhaust outlet cutout
4. measure distance with sewing tape measure from wheel well to first side of outlet
5. flip over paper lining up the mark and measuring the outlet to match step 4
6. mark outlet area to be cut with white grease pencil
7. hang mufflers to make sure they are under the outlet to be cut out
7. cut with dremel
8. file / sand down outlet
9. align and tighten up exhaust

Does this sound correct?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ok start small thats what i did i under cut the hole by about 1/2 inch i plased the muffler checked clearences and the smoothed it out and touched it up. it actually pretty easy just take your time
Old 03-08-2006, 09:56 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

wow looks great, ill soon-be purchasing a GT rear bumper off that guy to replace my stock rear v6 bumper that i cut for the flowmaters. thanks a bunch
gretat post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

I received my brackets and hardware today from Kevin at Clevenger Ford so the swap goes this weekend! He was nice enough to send a cool 2005 Mustang GT poster and a notepad with the Clevenger logo and somer other catalogs and cool pics and stuff for free with my order. Very cool!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:05 AM
gregbe1
1st Gear Member

mine is done, and added the H pipe with the 2 GT mufflers...the sound is great

http://2005stang.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=420
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

TNT, great to hear! Good luck on the install, I'm sure you'll love them Kevin is a great guy, apparently he always throws some extra goodies in with orders!

Gregbe, WOW that is a really fantastic photo gallery of the installation!! That's an excellent reference. The chrome tips look great, are those the Ford tips?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:07 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

only thing i dont see is clamps. hope your tank is good!

Quick Reply: HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics