Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 AM
gregbe1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: V6 dual GT mufflers how-to w/ pics

thanks Tres, I was happy to be able to get right in there and take some pictures hoping it will help others at the time they do there's, the tips are from MRT http://mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/exh%20tips.php and they are a very very nice looking product

as for the clamps, I did buy 4 of them at the time from Ford, however the installer is a friend of mine, and he likes everything welded together to make sure nothing moves, and I did mention to him about how some have had troubles with the tank, so if that ever happens we can cut the pipes and use 2 clamps to get it back together...I saved 2 of the 4 clamps I had bought just to have myself covered on both sides of the coin
Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

cool, so are the mufflers welded on also . because you would need to cut them and at at h to get the tank out. i know how it is with old dog and new tricks. i deal with that all the time. over all this is a great write up for the guys. i wish i would have taken more pics. thanks for the post. it should help alot of guys. but other people without the muffler connection may want to use clamps. BTW this is one of the nicer bend jobs i have seen so far.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
gregbe1
1st Gear Member

the GT take off mufflers have the clamps already on them, so they are the only clamps on the system, so if needed they can come right off...Thanks for the comments Afixer, Chris doe's exhaust work all day long as a job, he also builds exhaust systems for the track, and really loves his work and the chalange...this was his 1st V6 exhaust he has done, but even he said it's nice to have all the tools to work with.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

I cut the bumper cover and hung the muffler with the new stuff to check for fit. I pulled the muffler and now I'm ready to go to the muffler shop not so bright and early. [8D] Thanks for the tip Tres about using the third clamp bolt from the original muffler to thread the bungs in the frame. It worked like a charm and saved me from buying a tap!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==thanks Tres, I was happy to be able to get right in there and take some pictures hoping it will help others at the time they do there's, the tips are from MRT http://mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/exh%20tips.php and they are a very very nice looking product ==

Very nice, and I see they have some black chrome versions too! Cool! I really like the stock stainless tips, otherwise I'd be tempted Ford makes some chrome tips that go over the stock tips, I was wondering if those were the ones you had as I've never seen them. Kevin at Clevenger tried to sell me a pair when I bought the brackets.

==Thanks for the tip Tres about using the third clamp bolt from the original muffler to thread the bungs in the frame. It worked like a charm and saved me from buying a tap! ==

Excellent, glad the thread helped someone! Good luck at the muffler shop. One of these days I'm going to have mine redone just behind the cats and get an H-pipe put in, I'm not happy with how the shop cut in the new pipe. It's probably fine for now, but if I put a supercharger on it might cause some flow problems.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:51 PM
grbrorng07
1st Gear Member

Are ther any problems with sensors when adding dual exhaust to the V-6? What is the piece mounted on the factory exhaust on the Y pipe? I want to add duals but do not want check engine lights on. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:57 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

no
just at headers or cats if you take them off, you could have no mufflers and no light would go on
Old 11-03-2006, 02:55 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics

Boy, do I feel lucky to have found this forum. I have been trying to figure out how to put dual exhaust on my '05 V6. I had already figured out that I wanted to use GT takeoff mufflers, an X-pipe and stock hangers. I was looking at Google for anywhere that I might get the hangers a little cheaper ($59. ea. Ouch!) When I searched the ford part #, it brought me to this website. I have already benefitted a lot. One question, If I use shorty headers, will it require a change in tuning? The engine has no mods other than a K+N air filter.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:24 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

interesting question most guys that are doing shortys have already got the x cal and custom tunes. im sure someone willl chime in with an answer.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I am pretty sure that a tune is not required for jba shorty headers, but I am not sure. I do know that a tuner is the best way to maximize the hp gains from the shorty headers.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics