Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI's and wet, wet weather

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI's and wet, wet weather

Don't know if this is a stupid question or not. I live in Northern Florida and sometimes it rains like crazy here where you will have to drive through a significant amount of standing water. Just saw a guy on Friday leaving work when it was real bad and he had stalled his 'ricer' in a big a$$ amount of water that had accumulated in the road after one of our 'gushers'.
So - is this a problemo with CAI's? The factory box looks like it would take a bucket load to start pullin in water - but a CAI is just there in the open? Any thoughts, comments, telling me I ask dumb questions appreciated!!!

I have the mod bug, but cash is still tight - in fact my gear upgrade got put on hold as the better half spent the money on the kids... oh well.

Here's my intended list of mods for my v6 auto:
Tune - probably 91 tune I'm thinking
Gears - 3.73 gears with t-lok (argh - shoulda had by now!)
CAI - now a maybe - don't know yet
Wheels/tires - I have the premium, but no pony package - I would like some 5 spokes with better tires someday - this may just wait until I actually need rubber
Exhaust - don't know if I will do anything here, yea I'd love the look of duals, but it seems like a lot dosh for looks and not a lot of performance. If I ever get everything else, then I probably will wind up here, but its last on the list.

Last edited by laterider; 08-16-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM
bobs184

I was terrified about this too when I put my CAI on a few weeks ago. And right after I did, wouldn't you know it, it is absolutely pouring when I'm driving and I thought I would be in trouble.

I drove through lots of large splashing puddles and had cars drive by me on my left side and splash huge amounts of water all over my hood and my car ran just fine.

Standing water of any sort probably wouldn't be a good idea, but it seems like your basic CAI can withstand normal rain puddle and splash type driving!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

I haven't noticed any signs of moisture getting in or around my airaid intake. Seems to be ok. I wouldn't try turning my stang into noah's ark or anything but I think you will be ok.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

it would have to be enough standing water to cover your hood. some ricer intake kits put the filter near the bottom of the front bumper to "improve" air flow.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I don't worry about it that much. Just don't drive to fast through any standing water. I always drag the brakes when I go through deep water too. Duals are nice(I love the way my FRPP duals sound)but you can get a GT takeoff muffler very cheap and still get the benefit of a free flowing exhaust along with the better sound. I have a VMP cai with a VMP 93 tune and they work great! Its a very good inexpensive cai(about $110.00). Hes in Debary, Florida at 321-206-9369. Just these 3 simple mod will really wake up your V6 Mustang. You will definatly need T-lok & gears after these 3 mods but that can come later.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

That is one thing I like about the airaid/roush intakes. the way airaid makes them, the air "box" covers the bottom of the fender well. Kinda protects the filter from sucking in water. That is what made me buy the airaid over the k&n and the others.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Yea most ricers intakes go down near the road and when they hit standing water it sucks water up like a vaccum and hydro locks the motor. We dont have that problem because the intake is well above the road. Sure ours may get a few drops but nothing much not anything to worry about.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Default Airaid CAI

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
That is one thing I like about the airaid/roush intakes. the way airaid makes them, the air "box" covers the bottom of the fender well. Kinda protects the filter from sucking in water. That is what made me buy the airaid over the k&n and the others.
+1!!!!

Airaid made the Roush CAI. With that said, I am curious as to why more people haven't purchased this product. I am happy with it!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

because airad doesnt require a tune in which it doesnt give you very much horsepower
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Any amount of water that you drive thru that will drown your CAI will also drown a stock air box. It might take a few more seconds for the stock box to get enough water intrusion but not too much longer.

Driving thru a driving rain at highway speeds shouldn't introduce water into the CAI. Next time it's raining hard, take a test drive and then stop somewhere along the highway and check around the CAI. I think you'll find it dry enough for comfort.

Quick Reply: CAI's and wet, wet weather