Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Ponyboy289

Vehicle: 1965 Hardtop
Default Cutting rear bumper for dual exhaust?

This Saturday I will be installing the Pypes SFM65 dual exhaust system on my '06. For mufflers, I'll be installing a set of GT take-offs. If anyone else has done this, what did you use to cut the rear bumper fascia for the driver's side exhaust tip? I've got the cutting template from Pypes, but it does not have any suggestions for what tool to use. I was thinking of using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Anyone got any suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Ponyboy289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ford Mustang V6 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy289 View Post
This Saturday I will be installing the Pypes SFM65 dual exhaust system on my '06. For mufflers, I'll be installing a set of GT take-offs. If anyone else has done this, what did you use to cut the rear bumper fascia for the driver's side exhaust tip? I've got the cutting template from Pypes, but it does not have any suggestions for what tool to use. I was thinking of using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Anyone got any suggestions?
Before I got my GT bumper, we used a pneumatic body saw. Pro tip, use some blue painters tape to tape the entire area that you will be cutting. this will help prevent the paint from getting chipped. I have a v6 bumper that is already cut that would need to be painted to match!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

a HOT WIRE

stretched inbetween a homemade 2x4 framework.
Heat the wire with a battery charger and heat
your way thro the bumper cover.
Then a wine bottle with some sandpaper
round it will clean the edge right up....
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Ponyboy289

Vehicle: 1965 Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstakelin View Post
Before I got my GT bumper, we used a pneumatic body saw. Pro tip, use some blue painters tape to tape the entire area that you will be cutting. this will help prevent the paint from getting chipped. I have a v6 bumper that is already cut that would need to be painted to match!
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about the blue painter's tape also, just to keep the paint from getting scratched or flaking on the edge of the cut.

My apologies to all the regulars for posting this question. I just did a more thorough search of the site and I see where this topic is a beaten dead horse. From what I've read, it sounds like the Dremel will work fine. Now I've just got try and keep a steady hand while I saw into a $20,000 plus automobile with a tool I bought at Wal-Mart.
Ponyboy289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang Coupe PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157db View Post
a HOT WIRE

stretched inbetween a homemade 2x4 framework.
Heat the wire with a battery charger and heat
your way thro the bumper cover.
Then a wine bottle with some sandpaper
round it will clean the edge right up....
Thats a good idea, I never thought of that. Sounds a little McGiver, but I'm sure it would work really good.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about the blue painter's tape also, just to keep the paint from getting scratched or flaking on the edge of the cut.

My apologies to all the regulars for posting this question. I just did a more thorough search of the site and I see where this topic is a beaten dead horse. From what I've read, it sounds like the Dremel will work fine. Now I've just got try and keep a steady hand while I saw into a $20,000 plus automobile with a tool I bought at Wal-Mart.
Good luck, have a shot of Jack first to steady your hand!

Go Mods: Xcharger Xtreme #201, Borla dual exhaust with X pipe & 4" tips, C&L cai w/ Bama tunes, 8.8" w/ 3.73s and Tlok, strut tower brace, lower A-frame brace

Need more mod money!
Joshspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 98 Ram 1500 4x4

I used a dremel with a a tiny drill bit for steel. Go slow with the dremel, the plastic is really thin and the dremel will slice right thru it. And yeah, steady your hand and don't take your eyes off the cut.
GTM's & Pypes X | C&L CAI | CHE K Brace | OEM P&P TB
SMR ST Brace | TCI Ratchet Shifter | 8" Shorty
CDC Sequentials | Flat Black Aeroform Chin Spoiler
Satin Silver Roush Hood Scoop & Vtech 1/4 Louvers
OEM PP Silver 17x8's - F 235/55/17 - R 255/50/17
rls82959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 MT V6
Send a message via AIM to staggolee

Don't forget the template: http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-69-bumper-cutout02.pdf
Granted you did buy it from pypes, but I don't know if they just ship this to you with your product

Neck Snappers: Optional 3.31 gears/LSD
Head Turners: Matte Black Super Stripe
"And by the way, if you see my Gremlin, tell her I ended up getting laid when I got a Mustang." - Jon Stewart
staggolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Vehicle: 66 94 11
Send a message via AIM to 28HopUp

I traced the cut-out onto the painters tape applied to that side. Then I used a razor blade to rough cut the hole close to the line. Finally, I wrapped sandpaper around a full soda can and rotated the can back & forth. It worked great. Just don't slip and cut too far.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 gt

dual exhaust will look great. good luck

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
HoorayBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Quote:
This Saturday I will be installing the Pypes SFM65 dual exhaust system on my '06. I've got the cutting template from Pypes,
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggolee View Post
Don't forget the template: Granted you did buy it from pypes, but I don't know if they just ship this to you with your product
I think they shipped him a template
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 2010, bumper, bumpers, cut, cuttin, cutting, dremel, dual, edges, exhaust, mustang, profiles, rear, v6