Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

gushing coolant reservoir?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:43 AM
djedix

checked out the oil, and its fine. no white smoking coming from the tailpipe either. I went out and bought a new thermostat and we replaced it yesterday. Drove it around a bit yesterday and it seemed like it was driving better. I need to take it for a good long drive like to work and see what happens on Monday.

I'm going to take it over to the dealer and have them check it out i guess.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

hopefully it was just the thermostat

good luck
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
djedix

I brought the car to the dealer. What a horrible mistake. It sat on there lot for about 2 weeks. I called up there after 1 week, and they said they would call me when they would look at it. The second week came and no call. So i called them and told them i am going to come pick up the car because i need to get the car fixed, and this is taking a ridiculous amount of time. Also considering the woman at there service department kept telling me that they would call me back, and they never did. As soon as i did this they looked at it, told me it was a bad processor (which i assume is the ecm), fixed the car, first day back i drive to work and the thing gushes over once again. Wouldn't they check the head gasket? and now if i bring it back and they say it's the head gasket, are they going to charge me again? this is insanely a scumbag move by this dealership.

If i drive short distances nothing happens. If i drive it multiple short distances it might gush If i drive longer then 2 hours it gushes.

I am so tired of this sigh
Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I don't know what to tell you, and I assume you don't have any kind of warranty do you? I would think that they charged you a lot for the processor. I would take it back and demand it being fixed with some kind of discount. You can tell them that you brought it to a ford dealer because you thought that they could fix a ford car, as opposed to going to a local shop. Good luck with getting it fixed.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:37 PM
djedix

So i ended up bringing it back. they ended up replacing the thermostat again and the water pump. I said to the woman i hope i won't be back, and as soon as i pulled into my drive way the thing did it AGAIN! So i drove it back up there, and of course when i drove it back it didn't do it again. The guy who worked on the car came out and talked to me for about 15-20 mins which made me feel a lot better. He said the computer issue was a problem with the original 05s, Apparently my computer wasn't even responding when he tried it, so it needed to be replaced. Apparently I do have some sort of warranty on it for 5 years, or 97000 miles, and I'm at 93000.. So I'm lucky this previous work was all covered. they took the car back again this weekend to try to replicate it

The guy says it has to be something up with the fan. before this happened, He let idle for an hour and nothing happened. He took it for a ride and pushed it and nothing happened, drove it up hills. I just drove it home normally then it still puked.

I was reading another thread where someone had a bad fan relay on a 2005 v6, and I'm wondering if that's whats causing it. He also said he said the head unit is fine. he wants to check all the wiring and hopefully they check the relays.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Well, thats good to hear about the warranty. Also that the head was checked and it isn't a cracked head or a gasket. Keep us informed about what you find out.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 PM
JimC

If they haven't checked your head gaskets yet tell them to do so. That is exactly what my car did last summer and both head gaskets had gone bad. Instead of just continuing to replace parts and hoping to hit the right combination, they need to check the head gaskets first.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM
djedix

I told them ever since the first time i brought it up there to check the HG, and they assured me every time that it was ok.

they called me last night, they put like 10 miles on the car driving around. ofcourse it did not happen when they had it. They said they found air in the system so they bled it. Honestly i would think that they would have checked this when they replaced the tstat and the water pump... They said the air was going in through the first replacement cap... again in my mind if i am checking something and i see a non ford cap why not just put a stock cap on.... So they replaced the cap. Honestly why don't they just replace the reservoir at this point as well..I told them to check the fan relays and they said they did. So I'm going to pick the car up tonight, and see what happens.

the replacement cap i first bought
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_797894938___

Last edited by djedix; 10-14-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

question, when it overflows, do you have the a/c on?

my car does that when the a/c is not on, because the fan does not turn on, so i believe i have a low speed temp sensor not working...but since with the a/c on it doesnt do it, i havent gotten to work it out yet
Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Whatleys

Sorry to dig up this old thread but what was the fix? Mine is doing the same thing. Any thoughts? Not a head gasket, thermostat or cap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gushing coolant reservoir?