Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

ok so looking into my exhaust here is what I have found.....
looks like my hanger is maxed out at the bottom. I think when i get into a certain rpm range when compressor kicks in ect....the metal hanger welded to the muffler hits the bottom of the rubber hanger thus spreading out the vibration through the frame of the car. In this case the hanger cannot effectively do its job, if the muffler hanger and the rubber part of the hanger was in the middle where it is supposed to be i would get enough support to not max out the hanger.

what i think is my mid pipe is not in the muffler pipe far enough and the muffler is cocked down....if the muffler slides onto the mid more it will bring up the back of the muffler centering the hanger.
I would love to mess with this but I had shoulder surgery in may and go in for another on Friday! I have at lease 4 mths of recovery before I can do anything!
I'm so interested in trying this but there is no way I can physically.
I either wait til my brother is home from SC next month and talk him into messin with it.....or take it to a shop and have them adjust it.

here is a pic...what do you guys think? anyone look at theirs and notice anything similar?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brutedawg20
anyone know where i can get the hanger grommets at the trans mount? I want to add them to see if my vibration goes away but dont know where to get them, I can't seem to find then online anywhere
Ford and Pypes both say the hanger isn't needed. The only way you can get them from Ford is to order the whole OLD cross member with the hangers on it. Supposedly Ford originally used these to hold the exhaust in place until assemble was finished. Before I got this information I figured I could modify some type of universal hanger and get it to work there. Once I got a couple of bugs worked out (rubbing on the rear bumper cross member) everything is fine. No vibrations and no drone.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brutedawg20
ok so looking into my exhaust here is what I have found.....
looks like my hanger is maxed out at the bottom. I think when i get into a certain rpm range when compressor kicks in ect....the metal hanger welded to the muffler hits the bottom of the rubber hanger thus spreading out the vibration through the frame of the car. In this case the hanger cannot effectively do its job, if the muffler hanger and the rubber part of the hanger was in the middle where it is supposed to be i would get enough support to not max out the hanger.

what i think is my mid pipe is not in the muffler pipe far enough and the muffler is cocked down....if the muffler slides onto the mid more it will bring up the back of the muffler centering the hanger.
I would love to mess with this but I had shoulder surgery in may and go in for another on Friday! I have at lease 4 mths of recovery before I can do anything!
I'm so interested in trying this but there is no way I can physically.
I either wait til my brother is home from SC next month and talk him into messin with it.....or take it to a shop and have them adjust it.

here is a pic...what do you guys think? anyone look at theirs and notice anything similar?

This is the same problem i had when the metal hanger on the muffler was touching the rubber hanger. i just took the whole muffler off and hit that touching hanger with a sludge hammer and bent it so now there is a large enough gap so when it warms up it doesnt touch. you also have to hit the top part of the hanger so it adjusts the angle of it. the tip will stick out a lil farther like it did in my case but i just adjusted the other side so they are even. i kinda like the look of them sticking out more... more old school muscle look.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcstang12
This is the same problem i had when the metal hanger on the muffler was touching the rubber hanger. i just took the whole muffler off and hit that touching hanger with a sludge hammer and bent it so now there is a large enough gap so when it warms up it doesnt touch. you also have to hit the top part of the hanger so it adjusts the angle of it. the tip will stick out a lil farther like it did in my case but i just adjusted the other side so they are even. i kinda like the look of them sticking out more... more old school muscle look.
So, i looked into this. I was able to adjust the muffler and hanger, yes the tip stickes out a little farther but the other side can be adjusted too. This took all the vibration out of my car....completely gone! i couldnt stand it.
So a few days later i got a huge rattle while driving with my wife...rear hanger was tapping the frame so I cut it off. All good now! that maxed out rubber on the hanger seems to have been the problem.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

My muffler rear hanger rod on the driver's side would expand when hot and bang against the metal inner bumper on the driver's side, so just as this thread suggested, I cut about a 1/2 inch off and no more banging or rattling. Identical as Originally Posted by MoneyShot. Mine was on the driver's side. Thanks Moneyshot.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:06 AM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

hey guys anyone still having this problem? i was reading the TSB from years back about cutting the hangers off at the trans mount. The TSB explained to loosen the bolts where the exhaust attaches to the manifold, then cut off the hangers let the exhaust hang free and torque the manifold bolts back down. I havent looked at this but im assuming the exhaust has a slotted hole and by loosening and tightening it you readjust it. by not readjusting it can put some pressure on the exh system when cutting off the hangers OR changing the exhaust design, and cause a small vibration at certain times.....
anyone have any thoughts? does this sound right? its too cold here to poke around the engine.