Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
toconnor9999

Default V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration

I put dual exhaust on my V6 2005 convertible. I installed used GT muflers, an X-pipe and had the shop bend a new pipe for the left side. At constant speeds, it's smooth and pretty quiet. When I step on the gas, it's a bit too loud and I get a vibrtion from under the passenger seat. Can anyone suggest a remedy to make it smoother and a bit quieter?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

different muffler or resonators. Do you still have cats? As for vibration, look under to see if they gave you good clearance on your pipes (or welded the hangers)
Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
toconnor9999

Yes, I stil have the original catalyic converters. I'll look underneath soon for clearance. I'm wondering if the X-pipe causes turbulance in exhaust thus making it vibrate. JCON, I did a write-up on the installation of duals. If your interested, I'll send it. Duals on a Mustang convertible give a real sporty look.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The xpipe might be hitting the undercarriage. The pipes will move around, but the x should make the whole thing more solid.
Make sure you have both front and rear muffler hangers on each muffler (some shops will steal one from the passenger side and use it on the driver side and leave you with just one hanger on each side, not good!). Wherever things are hitting, there will be evidence of it, like bare metal or scraping. Look under your car and shake the piping with your hand (car off and pipes cool of course). If you can make the pipes hit or rattle somewhere, running the engine will be able to do that, too.
FWIW, the most problematic location I've always had are with the over-axle pipes and contact with the panhard bar or brace. If the pipe sits less than 1/2" above those, it will likely rattle.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I love the dual look but I havent heard it in person on a v6 and I dont want to lose my unique sound right now. I also don't want to pay $400 for the exhaust installed and $150 on a bumper.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
toconnor9999

Guys, thanks for the comments. I'm going to inspect the under side soon. JCON, when you put the GT take off mufler on, did you eliminate the counterballance mechanism on the old mufler? Did you notice any new vibration?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

When I originally did a single GT takeoff, the counter balance/anti vibration weight on the old V6 muffler went away with the old muffler. No vibration at all.

When I went to duals 6 months later, I replaced the original P/S mid/over-axle pipe with the new one supplied with the kit along with the new D/S pipe supplied. This also got rid of the counter balance weight thing that was attached to the old P/S pipe. No vibration at all. I am using a Y to Y type of a kit, so I did not disturb the piping from that mid joint forward to the Cats.

Clearance is an issue to look at, as there is not a ton of room on the under body clearance to the dual mid-pipes heading to the back of the car. I made sure I had around 1/2-3/4 of an inch, minimum, to all areas and have had no vibrations or banging.

Terry
Old 03-06-2010, 10:24 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

No vibration what so ever. Are your hangers and their rubber grommets intact on the muffler?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Check the 2 exhaust pipe hangers on the transmission cross member. They been known to cause noises. As for the mufflers you already have the quietest set out there.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
toconnor9999

I finally got a chance to get under my car and inspect the dual exhaust pipes. They are hung with plenty of clearance. There is no sign of "rubbing" on the body. Also, all the hangers use rubber bushings and are in good shape. I'm looking at installing resonators in staggered positions. What else is there?

Quick Reply: V6 dual exhaust noise and vibration