Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Remember the "NightMARE" Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 AM
RLowIndy

Default Remember the "NightMARE" Mustang?

On 12/24/10 I took delivery of a beautiful 2005 Torch Red Convt V6 with about 38K on it. It was beautifuly maintained and looked near showroom. I drove it 250 miles the next weekend then left it parked until about March.

When I started it up March 12th it went 3 miles and the engine locked up. I had it towed to a TOM WOOD FORD in CARMEL, INDIANA and they said the engine was out of time, locked up and needed to be replaced.

When I asked them what could cause such a thing they said poor maintenance. I had the records, this car was not poorly maintianed. I asked them to do a fuel sample to see if the car had been tampered with and they said "There is no reason to do that, the fuel from the injectors is clean".

I replaced the engine with a Coupe wreck with 28K on it. The car ran a bit rough but the mechanic that did it said drive it an should smooth out. I drove it less than 50 Miles and the engine light came on again. I took it to Auto Zone and they said it was missing on cyl 6. So I replace the plugs, wires and coil and it still missed. It was running like total crap.

I took it to a diffrent dealership DON HINDS FORD in FISHERS INDIANA and within 5 minutes they did a fuel sample and found SUGAR.

Long story short, some "prankster" poured sugar in the tank and it made it's way into the engine. You caould actually see granuals in the cylinders. The insurance company replaced the fuel system and re-imbursed me for the engine. 200 Miles later the engine light came on again.... turns out it had even damaged the cat convter, so they replaced that. Smooth sailing ever since!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Damn dude. Lock that car up in a garage at night!

Matthew
Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Its amazing it got that far, since sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline it should have clogged the fuel filter or not gotten past the injectors.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I thought Mythbusters busted the sugar in the tank doing anything myth?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:09 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by Daehawk
I thought Mythbusters busted the sugar in the tank doing anything myth?
Lol,
they did.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I didnt see that episode. What was the outcome?

Matthew
Old 08-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I didnt see that episode. What was the outcome?

Matthew
Was called Car Capers.

A car's engine will be destroyed when sugar is put into the tank. Busted The engine ran even better than without the sugar
Old 08-22-2010, 12:29 AM
tdpower
1st Gear Member

My understanding is that is would gum up the fuel system. Why are you guys busting this guys *****? lol....He did not come here for advice. I don't really see how it would destroy the engine but seems to me a lot of cash to get it out. Throw some acetone in it and see what it does. lol don't try this at home.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

wow that sucks, great though that in the end it was all taken care of.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 AM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

I dont think you can use the Myth Busters version of the myth because they didnt test it over a long period of time with constant fill ups and driving conditions; IE bumps, turns, forward force from acceleration, ect... however.... if someone ticks me off.... im getting the bleach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQPq...feature=search

Quick Reply: Remember the "NightMARE" Mustang?