Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Prochamber for 4.0 V6

Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Default Prochamber for 4.0 V6

So I recently had my Mac Prochamber midpipe put in. I've always been interested in this midpipe, but it seems it is not a common piece used in v6 aplications. Anyhow, it took two months to get, since it was backordered at Mac, and it had to be shipped to them (in Cali) from china and then sent to me here in Ontario, so that was a fun wait... not. But alas, it arrived this week, and I went to a trusted exhaust shop to get it welded in on Friday. Now as far as prochambers are concerned, there are a lot of different options available; o/r, 2.25", 2.5", stock cats, etc. So there really is an option available for every aplication. Up to now, my exaust system consists of the FRPP cat back kit, with stock headers and cats. As such, my intenetion was to replace the x-pipe from the ford kit with the pro-chamber. After searching the Mac site, I found I had two options: PC2250 (2.25" to stock headers) and the PC2105 (2.5" to stock or mac headers). I emailed Mac as to which pipe would best suit my needs. They said the PC2250 was needed on 2005's only if manufactured after 8-30-05. As my car was manufactured in late 2004, I decided to go with the PC2105.

So I finnaly got the pipe, opened the box, and inspected it. First impressions were very good. It was a nice looking piece, the welds looked very well done, and it came with a few clamps for the install. So I brought it up to the exhuast shop, and they went to work. In less than an hour, I was out the door. A few notes on the install though. It seems the rearward side of the prochamber fit the over-axel pipes of the frpp kit perfectly, but the cat side had a bit of a gap. What I mean by this is, the cat pipes were smaller diameter than the Mac cat-side pipes. Id say, off by probably a quater inch. (hmm, maybe the pc2250 would of done the trick despite the build date of my car?). Anyhow, they mananged to mate everything up without a problem , and welded everything in place. Sweet, crisis averted.

So I went to go fire her up. Impressions... well, upon innitial start up, it seemed almost quieter than the old xpipe. This was exected, as the prochamber is essentially another muffler you add. Sounded good though, for a six, and I'm aiming for a good sounding six over a loud sound. Loud isnt always good. Driving impressions? On and at street speeds, it is very livable. A nice tone, not too much different than then x pipe, but slightly deeper and more rumbly. As far as drone is concerned, there is none. Well, I suppose there could be some, but if there is, I cant hear it over my gear whine, haha. At WOT, this pipe sounds really nice. That raspy sound I was used to hearing as the tach climbed past 4k, is gone now, its much more mellow, deep, and refined in the upper rev range. And while it dosent sound like an eight, it dosent sound like a six any more, or at least your typical sixxer. Hmm. I can finally say, Im satisfied with the exhaust note of this thing now. Sorry, I know, I know, this is useless without an exhaust clip. Im going for a dyno tune on Friday, so I will grab a video for sound referance then, and update this thread with it. It should be broken in a good bit more by then anyways. If anyone is thinking about picking up this pipe, um, what are you waiting for? Do it.