Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

T5- How Strong is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Default T5- How Strong is it?

I was curious to know what to launch at on the track.....was weary to launch higher than 2 grand bc I heard that the T5's are junk (in a nutshell).
I have stock tires now and I spun launching at 2k....but next time I hit the track i'll have 285/40/18 Nittos.

Thanks in advance for the imput guys!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Im sure the t5 can handle 2,000 rpms just fine, and the stock tires will definitely spin like crazy at 2 grand.

My first time ever at the track was on October 16 I was anxious about breaking my clutch not the transmission. I had heard lots of stories about people breaking/burning out ther clutches at the track because of hard launches. So each and every time I left the line at idle and managed to get my best time of 15.204 @ 93.98. My only mod is true duals, and this was on the stock tires/wheels not the 20's
Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

THanks bud.
I haven't heard any stories about the clutches....
Also, my third gear grinds almost every time I shift over 4k.....almost.....I'm hoping that the CHE K member brace and torque limiters will fix it......if not. I hope a new trans is covered under warranty.
Ugh and I have a paint peel....found it today when I was washing it.....I hope that a peel is covered under warranty too.....I know chips and day to day normal paint wear isn't covered.....but this isn't day to day...not on a one year old car :/
Back on topic.
I was wondering if I could launch any higher than 2k SAFELY.....if not i'll stick to 2k....I managed a 2.1 60' on stock tires so I can't imagine I'd best that by much anyway with a near stock setup.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I doubt you will break it NA... Now with FI 3rd gear tends to grenade when banging gears....

That's why I'm going to get a tr3650...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 AM
peekachoo

when i was at the track, i was launching at 3800 rpms without spin. the entire time i was at the track the trany gave me problems. but at 16,000 miles i shattered 3rd gear. at the time i was still mostle stock. (cai, exhaust, pully) the dealer said the car had been abused and i was stuck with a $3200 bill to replace the trany. after that it was down hill from there. i tried 3 spec clutch and flywheel combos. none of them lasted more than 12,000 miles before the bands on the presure plate would break. then i tried a c/f dual friction with a fadanza aluminum flywheel and they are still intact, but if i go over 4000 rpms the pedal doesn't come back up, and it won't let me out or into the gears.i've changed the hydrolic trow-out bearing with a new one with each clutch change. i've even tried changing shifters and changing the fluid to synchromesh. nothing helps. i've been to the dealer, no help. i've been to other shops and still no help. finally i desided to change it out with a trans from a gt. i've ran across tons of horror stories with these transmissions. right now, i have my new gt trany and monday i'm going to order the install kit. then i just need a new shifter from a gt and get my driveshaft cut. this seems to be the only solution for mine. i hope you have better luck with yours.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by peekachoo
when i was at the track, i was launching at 3800 rpms without spin. the entire time i was at the track the trany gave me problems. but at 16,000 miles i shattered 3rd gear. at the time i was still mostle stock. (cai, exhaust, pully) the dealer said the car had been abused and i was stuck with a $3200 bill to replace the trany. after that it was down hill from there. i tried 3 spec clutch and flywheel combos. none of them lasted more than 12,000 miles before the bands on the presure plate would break. then i tried a c/f dual friction with a fadanza aluminum flywheel and they are still intact, but if i go over 4000 rpms the pedal doesn't come back up, and it won't let me out or into the gears.i've changed the hydrolic trow-out bearing with a new one with each clutch change. i've even tried changing shifters and changing the fluid to synchromesh. nothing helps. i've been to the dealer, no help. i've been to other shops and still no help. finally i desided to change it out with a trans from a gt. i've ran across tons of horror stories with these transmissions. right now, i have my new gt trany and monday i'm going to order the install kit. then i just need a new shifter from a gt and get my driveshaft cut. this seems to be the only solution for mine. i hope you have better luck with yours.
I was gonna say you're better off getting the 3650 from the first time you broke it.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I was gonna say you're better off getting the 3650 from the first time you broke it.
Is it a direct bolt up type trans conversion?

I have a feeling that 3rd gear in my car is prolly going out. I am close to 20k miles now
Old 11-14-2010, 02:58 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kona6Stang10
Is it a direct bolt up type trans conversion?

I have a feeling that 3rd gear in my car is prolly going out. I am close to 20k miles now
No you need a $400 adapter plate from nice pony on the collective. I doubt 3rd is going already I have 48k on an 05 and I beat it with no problems.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:45 PM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

the t5 is a touchy beast. it is a pos for sure but its about how you treat it. i beat on it for 18 months with a turbo before i blew it, just have to be careful how you shift it. but ya it is not the strongest piece of craftsmanship in the world. oh and ya third sucks in that trans. i blew it up just accelerating in third, not shifting into it. by all means replace it if you are able to

and too the guy who paid 3200 to replace his t5. hahahaha dude im sorry but you got taken
Old 11-20-2010, 09:59 PM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

what do you guys normally take off at on the street. just day to day driving?

Quick Reply: T5- How Strong is it?