Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto Headlights

Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If I remember correctly, the Canadian models came standard with the auto on headlights. Heard this somewhere.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If you are looking for daytime running lights you can take the car to the dealer and have them turned on. 2005 models and up to my knowledge are all capable of having daytime running lights. The dealer can turn them on by entering a code into the smart junction box. The lights will only be 1/2 power until you turn the headlight switch on. The downside is you can not use hid lights with the daytime running lights. I just had them turned off by the dealer in my 05 so I could get hid lights.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 10-28-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 AM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
If I remember correctly, the Canadian models came standard with the auto on headlights. Heard this somewhere.
The Canadian models come with standard daytime running lights, some of the newer models may have auto on lights but it would be an option on most. Even with the auto on headlights though they do not turn on during the day or during rain and bad weather, there is a sensor on the dash that determines when it is dark enough then turns the lights on.

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
If you are looking for daytime running lights you can take the car to the dealer and have them turned on. 2005 models and up to my knowledge are all capable of having daytime running lights. The dealer can turn them on by entering a code into the smart junction box. The lights will only be 1/2 power until you turn the headlight switch on. The downside is you can not use hid lights with the daytime running lights. I just had them turned off by the dealer in my 05 so I could get hid lights.
There is no reason you cannot use HID's with your daytime running lights, it just means your lights are on at all times. I have been running HID's for about 3 years now and my daytime running lights are still on at all times and work normally.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigmike06gt
The Canadian models come with standard daytime running lights, some of the newer models may have auto on lights but it would be an option on most. Even with the auto on headlights though they do not turn on during the day or during rain and bad weather, there is a sensor on the dash that determines when it is dark enough then turns the lights on.

There is no reason you cannot use HID's with your daytime running lights, it just means your lights are on at all times. I have been running HID's for about 3 years now and my daytime running lights are still on at all times and work normally.
All the research I did says due to the half the voltage the car gives to the lights for the daytime running lights the ballasts would be damaged. I guess you would know for sure since you are running them for 3 years. When I was doing research on this topic it seems there is a lot of mis information out there. Even if I was not going the route of hids, I also hated the look of the daytime running lights. Since I do not live in Canada where it is law, they had to go.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

All the research I did says due to the half the voltage the car gives to the lights for the daytime running lights the ballasts would be damaged. I guess you would know for sure since you are running them for 3 years. When I was doing research on this topic it seems there is a lot of mis information out there. Even if I was not going the route of hids, I also hated the look of the daytime running lights. Since I do not live in Canada where it is law, they had to go.
I hate the look of them as well and have tried to get a few places to change the drl's to my fogs as some of the newer mustang's seem to have up here but everyone tells me they won't mess with the wiring at all.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:53 PM
drakefamily2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
It depends on how you wired the fog lights.
Did you use a GT headlight switch?
Yes I did
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its not just as easy as "turning them 'on'".
There is hardware needed in addition to changing the as-built-data
in the SJB. There is a ballast resistor mounted on the drivers side frame rail
that cuts the voltage in half to the headlights for the DRL function.
It is based on current to provide the proper voltage drop.
HID ballasts dont draw enough current for the DRL dropping resistor
to be any concern for the HIDs ballast.

Two birds, one stone...
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Its not just as easy as "turning them 'on'".
There is hardware needed in addition to changing the as-built-data
in the SJB. There is a ballast resistor mounted on the drivers side frame rail
that cuts the voltage in half to the headlights for the DRL function.
It is based on current to provide the proper voltage drop.
HID ballasts dont draw enough current for the DRL dropping resistor
to be any concern for the HIDs ballast.

Two birds, one stone...
What I was told the smart junction box is the same for American and Canadian models. In Canada it is law that cars have to have day time running lights. In the US it is not law so they are not turned on. When I took my 05 to the dealer all they had to do was obtain a code from Ford and enter that in to the smart junction box, and walaa no more daytime running lights. My car is not a Canadian model and others from what I have read, have gone to start their car, or the battery died, and suddenly they have daytime running lights. So what you are saying is some US cars have the resistor and some don't?

Last edited by DRAGUL; 10-31-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Mine does not have a resistor.
So "turning them on" in the SJB is not an option for me.
Thank God because I detest DRLs.
Stupid people think their headlights are on at night
when they are not. And this results in no marker or taillights.
I am sure you have seen these idiots around.
DRLs at night and no other exterior lighting.
Its an accident just waiting to happen.

The wiring diagrams for the US models dont show a resistor.
I have never seen this resistor on a US model.
Do they exist?
Who knows but Ford.

BTW, I have been into my SJB and the resistor does not reside there.
The heat generated by the dropping resistor could not be tolerated
by the SJB anyhow... Thats why they are placed in the airstream...

Last edited by 157dB; 11-01-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM
ebritt

Originally Posted by obxdude018
That is a gm thing with the auto headlights, the only thing I could think of is to first figure out the amps that the lights use, find another component that turns on when the engine is started and rewiring it to that component and then increase the fuse to accomodate the extra draw, but in all opinion it's not worth it, if you change the stuff around and it's not done correctly you could fry something that is really important.
My 2004 Explorer has auto headlights......hmmmm. Didnt know GM built explorers...LOL