Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Max HP for the 4.0? Best ET?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Default Max HP for the 4.0? Best ET?

I been wandering around the web looking at different 4.0 parts, cars, mods, and projects. Im curious what is the most power the 4.0 can handle? what is the most you have seen?

I found a couple interesting builds, one was a turbo project, stock internals but well over 400 ft-lbs of torque and close to 400 hp. Better than that I stumbled across a built 4.3 stroker with heads, cams, 14 PSI procharger, 5-speed, Dyno tested it produced 440 RWHP, I would think thats pretty close to the limit for a streetable 4.0 engine. I do know that the 4.0 is cast iron, wouldnt 450 hp be pretty much the limit that the block will handle? I know they make billet aluminum rods and some other goodies for the internals.

Just a random thought, I dont come across too many of the 4.0s that are built.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Jenna on the mustang collective (badwolf) puts down 388rwhp/490lbrwtq. The general consensus is 400hp but then again its all in the tune...
Old 11-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Supersix claims a dyno test of 440 RWHP and 388 ft-lb RWTQ with their stage 3 heads, cams, 14PSI Procharger, and dual exhaust. http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...Cdynotest1.pdf

The car was tuned with SCT by a guy in florida. (Ill look up the name if anyone asks) I think thats a dang good pull for just those mods. Im crious what that setup with a 4.3 stroker kit would produce, the stroker kit claims to add 30hp and 30ft lbs of torque by itself. If it did add that much it would put the build over 450 RWHP, which is what I would think would be the blocks limit.

I myself am trying to decide what to do wtih my build, maybe just go forced induction until the engine needs rebuilt, then go with a stroker kit and stage 3 heads and cams, may as well keep the factory heads/cams/rotating assembly until it has outlived its usefullness. BUT I was looking at an X charger, 11PSI, that would put my end product below the 440hp of the tested engine, but prob with a much flatter torque curve and a setup more condusive to street driving.

From the information I have recieve the Supersix's stage 3 heads and cams work well with the X-charger and remain perfectly streetable WHEN TUNED CORRECTLY. Supersix stressed getting the proper tune.

I mention supersix a lot because they have been VERY fast to respond to my questions and very helpful and have provided more information that other sources I looked into. I have the satisfaction of knowing that they will respond any day of the week within a few hours, and that has been on questions about the products, thats a big thing that has caused me to lean their way.

Sorry for the long post, I have just found this topic to be VERY interesting, the 4.0 has been subject to a tyraid of insults, some from Motor Trend which called it a "boat anchor" (July 2010 issue) It has also been subject to a lot of laughs. True price adds up, mods easily topping $10K engine alone but I only paid $15K for my car and it was a year old an had only 24,000 miles. with the price tags of new GTs hitting $35,000 loaded with the options my car has thats just not feasible even for a guy that me (single and making $37,000 a year + a second job) spending money as I go and rebuilding the drivetrain after its paid for still has me coming out cheaper. Even if I spent $20,000 in upgrades I will have a very unique impressive car with cheaper insurance that a new GT.

So far I have been impressed with the 4.0, in 50,000 miles I have had only to replace the rear brake pads and a defective crankshaft pulley (fixed free by Ford) Water pump is on its way out at 73,000 miles. I drive like a bat out of @#!*% and the car has never failed to perform at its best for me. the 4.0 is a proven reliable engine, a friend of mine has a 2000 explorer that has been through @#!*% for years and it still runs perfectly even after not being properly maintained by its owner.

Long post I know but I hope not boring, im going to contine looking around for information and post what I find, seriously thinking about head work and cams at rebuild time so maybe if yall stick around yall can see the results. the 4.0 from what I have found has some serious untapped power potential. Makes me wish I knew more about turbos, they seem to be making a LOT more torque that the superchargers are.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue07V6

Sorry for the long post, I have just found this topic to be VERY interesting, the 4.0 has been subject to a tyraid of insults, some from Motor Trend which called it a "boat anchor" (July 2010 issue) It has also been subject to a lot of laughs. True price adds up, mods easily topping $10K engine alone but I only paid $15K for my car and it was a year old an had only 24,000 miles. with the price tags of new GTs hitting $35,000 loaded with the options my car has thats just not feasible even for a guy that me (single and making $37,000 a year + a second job) spending money as I go and rebuilding the drivetrain after its paid for still has me coming out cheaper. Even if I spent $20,000 in upgrades I will have a very unique impressive car with cheaper insurance that a new GT.

Blue don't sweat the morons that bash the 4.0 powered Mustang. There's plenty of them around, even on most of these various Mustang dedicated forums. I had an 06 GT and now I have a 2010 4.0 and honestly I like the 4.0 better for daily driving.

When the S197 first came out in 2005 the magazines were heaping praise upon the 4.0 for how quick it was for a V6 and it was the best V6 Mustang ever and blah blah blah. But a magazine only stays in business if people buy it and read their crap. So within a couple years they had all changed their tune and started ******* the 4.0. I can remember magazines back in the late 90's that would bash the Camaro's because they had a rough ride and didn't have enough trunk room. Really morons? You bought a Camaro looking for a smooth luxury car ride and lots of trunk room?

People always seem to forget that when it comes to buying a sports or sporty car, price dictates the level of performance you are going to get. In 2010 your average price on a V6 Mustang was about 22 to 24 grand. That's about right for a car that's getting 6.5 and 15.3 performance numbers. In fact there are some sporty cars out there that cost more and don't get numbers even that good.

So when Ford announced they were putting the 300 hp 3.7 V6 in the Stang the magazines of course all hailed it as a great thing and thank God because the 4.0 was a "boat anchor motor" that is coarse and harsh running. Whatever. The 4.0 is a decent performer at a good price which has been the bedrock principle of the Mustang since 1964. I don't think it sounds coarse and harsh at all. It sounds like a Mustang. If the car mags don't like the way it sounds they can go back to their fancy little BMW 3 series girly mobiles.

I like the car, it performs well, it's reliable as hell and with the refinements to the suspension and interior made to the Mustang in 2010 it's a great car. I don't know about you but I couldn't care less what some stupid magazine writer's opinion is.

Heck a couple years from now the magazines will be ******* the 3.7 because it's only 300 HP or you have to rev it up to hit the powerband and they'll want instant 300 HP at 900 RPM or some silly nonsense like that. Car magazines are a joke, I don't know why anyone bothers to read them.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 11-26-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Might want to check out Justin from vmp his wifes 6 makes 398rwhp/410tq or something like that. Old article.

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660
Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

Whitehorse10, if you could see me, I'm on my feet, giving you a standing ovation. Amen to that!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

I subscride to Modified Mustangs and Fast Fords, Motor trend was an issue I picked up when they tested the 2011 musclecars, mainly because it said that the Ford Mustang was the bst in the V8 category, had to shove it in my Chevy friends face. Ironically the V6 came in second to a Hondai (what the hell?)

Great article! Thats the guy that supersix HIGHLY recommended to tune for their heads/cams.

I have been still snooping around and found out that blocks have been built that claim to support 600hp and 20 PSI(!) of boost. While more costly than im sre most of us could afford its still some pretty insane power for the little 6. im not sure how streetable a 600hp 20PSI F/I 4.0 would be, and it would probably get 3 gallons per mile fuel mileage but it sure as hell would be awesome to own, mated with a T-6060 6-speed magnum it would give a GT500 a run for its money on a track.

My goal is to remain streetable, i intend to add duals and a tuner next spring, then start saving for a supercharger possibly to come in the fall or following spring. Ill probably leave it at that until things start failing. Upon the engines need for a rebuild heads/cams/stroker kit will come. When the rear end fails I intend to add an 8.8" with 3.73s. at 73,000 miles it seems logical to run the original parts until they break. Over a 5 year period I could emerge with a 450RWHP V6 monster, one bite at a time eatng the huge price tag that comes with it and also providing time to carefully research the parts that go into it.

What ETs could I expect in this range? 12s would be nice.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 PM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

check my car, keep in mind, i am running a very conservative tune at only 8* of timing. 400 is pretty much the safe mark for these engines, but i try to keep it a little under that.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cardude99
check my car, keep in mind, i am running a very conservative tune at only 8* of timing. 400 is pretty much the safe mark for these engines, but i try to keep it a little under that.
Dang nice setup! looks like a LOT of fun. I really like turbos but me ignorance keeps me from being able to build one. and im not in an area that has anyone who knows enough for me to trust to build one.

What are your ETs?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Mustan...lip-18940.html Not bad, 12.1!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Max HP for the 4.0? Best ET?