Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
95SHO
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 Taurus SHO
Default 4.0 Engine difference between 05-09

I am trying to install a 4.0 motor in my 2001 Explorer, but I am running into trouble regarding the felx plate. When did Ford changethe flex plate in the Auto 4.0 Mustangs. I thought everything was the same from 05-10. I read some where that there might have been a design change concerning the strater, flex plate and torque converter in 2008. Any truth to this??
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
95SHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Ahiodsohi

Vehicle: 2007 V6 Mustang

This thread may be super old and all, but I'm going to post what I know for the benefit of people searching this topic in the future (I came to this thread via Google search, for instance).

During a swap of a tranny and torque converter from an '05 into my '07 (long story, it was a straight OEM replacement for troubleshooting purposes), I found that the t/c and flexplate designs had changed between those years. The four nuts on the t/c were both a different size ('07 used a 1/2" socket, '05 was a 15mm socket, neither nut fit the other year t/c), and spaced differently (see pics below). As a result, the holes in the flexplate are also spaced differently.

'05 torque converter:
Click the image to open in full size.

'07 torque converter:
Click the image to open in full size.

For clarification purposes, both sets of parts came from '05-'09 4.0L V6 Mustangs with automatic transmissions.

Ahiodsohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 White Mustang

As I understand it the 05-06 were the same, and then they changed it for 07-09.

2006 Mustang V6 PP | C&L CAI | Bama 93 race tune | 14" Shorty Antenna | Eagle GTs | 18" stripe
GT/CS Front Bumper | Bullit Grille | Hawk HPS pads| Slotted and Drilled Rotors | Strano Swaybars
Prothane Motor Mounts | MMD Hood Struts | 55w 5000K HIDs | Poly Bushings

There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.
MustangFirstCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
05, 0509, 09, 2005, 2010, 40, cover, differance, difference, differences, engine, engines, explorer, ford, front, kind, mustang