Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto to manual, v6 to v8... Too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang 007
I really wish I had the knowledge to do it myself. I often ask people how to learn about engines and how to repair them and stuff: They always say that I should buy an engine and fix it up, that that would be the best way to learn. I think its a cool idea, but I am afraid I would screw something up ya know? But I guess thats part of the learning process :/ Anyone got any cool ideas on how to learn to repair car engines? I might make a thread about this.
Try going to shops and seeing if they would be willing to take you as an apprentice, even if it's one or two days a week, I spent about 3 months in my uncle's body shop learning about body work, I did it for free as I value the education more than money, a lot of what I know is just by doing it myself. I also took a course online that teaches you in depth about cars and all the systems and how they work. You will gain the most knowledge however by getting your hands greasy.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang 007
I really wish I had the knowledge to do it myself. I often ask people how to learn about engines and how to repair them and stuff: They always say that I should buy an engine and fix it up, that that would be the best way to learn. I think its a cool idea, but I am afraid I would screw something up ya know? But I guess thats part of the learning process :/ Anyone got any cool ideas on how to learn to repair car engines? I might make a thread about this.
95% of the 'work' is simple assembly, removal, or replacement. if you can select the proper tool and can tighten or loosen bolts and nuts, you're there. Use of power/electric tools help a lot, but IMO, you "learn" more using traditional hand tools, and you get the feel of how tight something it, etc.

The tricky or very critical stuff, the other 5%, takes experience, skill, and sometimes, innovation, to get something done properly. Knowing when something requires precision tools to do right, proper use of correct sealants, etc.

Indeed, working as an apprentice somewhere is a good way to learn some of the basics as well; you'll probably clean a lot of parts and do crap work, but it's all still important to do a job right.

When learning as you go, start off with smaller simpler stuff first, that you can handle. As you get experience and confidence, you can progress to more complex repairs and installs.

Having a relative or friend who knows wth they're doing and is willing to have you do most of the work is the best way to learn. My Dad was a mechanic, and he guided me as we overhauled the motors in my first 2 cars when I was young. I learned what parts were critical and which weren't, more than anything.

Before my Mustang, I hand't ever tackled a rear-end gear change, but getting most of the tools needed and reading about and following proper procedures, I've done a couple and now am confident in my ability to change gears.

If you want to learn, you'll find a way. Always, though, do stuff safely. I only takes one stupid mistake/shortcut to end your life.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

The few thousand you'd probably pay in labor could be put towards going to uti or atc to learn how to do it yourself. I don't know how much tuition would cost, but I'd imagine it's in the same range

Just a thought
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

to the opp. swap for a T5 manual transmission, my friend has done this on his v6 spending around $1,200. then x-charge, and youll be happy =]