Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
shykyle

Default Limp home Yellow wrench

I've had some problems with my Mustang for the last couple months, running fine up up to 55 mph, but anywhere between 60 - 70 mph, lots of hesitation and "clunking". seems to run fine after 70mph also. Today, the limp home light came on, and I took it to the dealer. they performed a diagnostic, and said they weren't able to retrieve a "code". this is the second time i've had it to the dealer. I've tried various things, and i'm not mechanically inclined, and just trying to get an idea on the probable cause. Oh, gas mileage is pretty bad.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
shykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
JCON
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

could be any number of things, do you have a code reader or a local autozone? next time it flashes try to get there immediately to read the codes.

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Year? V6 or GT? Mileage? Mods? Maintenance done over the life of the car & recently? Define "clunking" (i'm guessing something going on with fuel delivery/spark causing intermittent acceleration which gets our heavy, noisey driveline slop involved but we need more... a LOT more).

From your description it could be 100 things. Help us narrow that down with more info.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
shykyle

I'm sorry, I should have included more info. It's a 2006, automatic, 4L, 73,000 . Kept a pretty clean maintenance record, because I love this car. Last oil change, they DID get sloppy and put the air filter in wrong, which made the engine light come on. That was early December. Whats so maddening, when the wrench light came on, I drove straight to the dealer. I guess when I shut the engine off when I pulled into the bay, it reset the code. They said pretty much the same thing at the dealer. Without the code, it could be lots of things. Right before it "clunks" there's a slight hesitation before it lurches and clunks and continues on. AutoZone rep suggested I try Sea Foam in the gas and crank case. Did that, doesn't seem to be much improvement...but only one tank so far.
shykyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
JCON
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

I wouldn't sea foam it just yet.

270rwhp 292rwtq - 4/21/12 - Stock 87 octane + 4.10's
283rwhp 296rwtq - 4/20/13 - Exhaust 87 octane + 4.10's
330rwhp 336rwtq - 4/19/14 - Intake, P&P TB, CMDP's, UDP's, LT's, O/R ProChamber, 4.10's + 93 tune
JCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 2011, acceleration, clunks, code, default, home, light, limp, mode, mustang, shykyle, v6, wrench, yellow