Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 SS Mustang V6 Premium
Send a message via AIM to StreamlineStang
Default Duel exhaust from RockAuto Questions: 2007

I have a 2007 4.0 and would like to go with duals. I already have both GT mufflers so I'm good there. I just want to make sure I order everything I need to do this in my driveway.

I saw on RockAuto that they sell everything I need for a great price.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

I just want to make sure that all I need to order is the drivers side pipe since I have my stock passenger side pipe, a X pipe from them or AM, and what else? Hangers, clamps, what and how many?

Thanks for your help,
Tyler
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
GT500 Conversion, Shelby Hood Pins, Gray Leather Interior, 5 Speed Manual, Pony Package, Interior Upgrade Package, Shaker 500, 35/20 Tint, 14" Shorty Antenna, Silver 17" Bullitts, GT Spoiler, GT M/T Muffler, CF Dash, SR Window Louvers, Roush Retro ****, Magnetic Blackout Panel, Bullitt Style Fuel Door, Painted Mirror Covers, And Some Sweet Mustang Floor Mats!

Last edited by StreamlineStang; 03-07-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Me no know how to spell...durrr
StreamlineStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

You need the driver side mid pipe, and 2 hangers for the driver side muffler. For some reason the Rockauto site won't load for me right now, but all you need to get is the driver side for the GT because the passenger side is the same for the V6 and GT.

You will need 2 step down band clamps for the down tube (2.25" size) to the X pipe (2.5") and then 2 band clamps for the X to the mid pipes (2.5" each). I got my band clamps at the NAPA store, somewhere around $11 back when I bought mine.

If you are careful you might be able to use the clamps on your current Y pipe set up.

And of course if you don't have the GT bumper you will need to cut the opening in your V6 bumper for the second muffler. There is a template at www.pypesexhaust.com, just make sure you print the template out full size and don't leave your printer set to "make it fit"

(and a little grammatical comment -- it is "dual" and not "duel" exhaust.)

Last edited by JimC; 03-07-2011 at 10:25 PM.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You need the driver side mid pipe, and 2 hangers for the driver side muffler. For some reason the Rockauto site won't load for me right now, but all you need to get is the driver side for the GT because the passenger side is the same for the V6 and GT.

You will need 2 step down band clamps for the down tube (2.25" size) to the X pipe (2.5") and then 2 band clamps for the X to the mid pipes (2.5" each). I got my band clamps at the NAPA store, somewhere around $11 back when I bought mine.

If you are careful you might be able to use the clamps on your current Y pipe set up.

And of course if you don't have the GT bumper you will need to cut the opening in your V6 bumper for the second muffler. There is a template at www.pypesexhaust.com, just make sure you print the template out full size and don't leave your printer set to "make it fit"

Thanks for the helpfull info.

I ALWAYS spell that wrong without even thinking about it.
GT500 Conversion, Shelby Hood Pins, Gray Leather Interior, 5 Speed Manual, Pony Package, Interior Upgrade Package, Shaker 500, 35/20 Tint, 14" Shorty Antenna, Silver 17" Bullitts, GT Spoiler, GT M/T Muffler, CF Dash, SR Window Louvers, Roush Retro ****, Magnetic Blackout Panel, Bullitt Style Fuel Door, Painted Mirror Covers, And Some Sweet Mustang Floor Mats!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Quote:

Are you sure I need 2 hangers for the drivers side? It only shows 1 in the pictures?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
JimC

Yes, the muffler has a hanger at the front and at the back. It can be difficult to see the back one in pictures. After you get it installed if you have a rattle or tapping sound that is frequently the back hanger hitting the bumper bar and all you need to do is adjust the muffler. It was driving me nuts trying to find it and then I noticed that the bumper bar showed little marks where the hanger would tap it intermittently.

And I've noticed you aren't the only one to have "dueling" exhaust!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Yes, the muffler has a hanger at the front and at the back. It can be difficult to see the back one in pictures. After you get it installed if you have a rattle or tapping sound that is frequently the back hanger hitting the bumper bar and all you need to do is adjust the muffler. It was driving me nuts trying to find it and then I noticed that the bumper bar showed little marks where the hanger would tap it intermittently.

And I've noticed you aren't the only one to have "dueling" exhaust!
Where/how much did you get the hangers for? They are like $40 each at RockAuto.

They will duel to the death over the best airflow I guess...
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
JimC

It's been awhile but I think I picked mine up at v6mustangstuff - or it could have been at the Pypes website.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had bought two GT Mufflers from a member here, so I needed the extra parts too. I went to www.V6Mustangstuff.com and ordered the Pypes X-Pipe set up. It will come with everything you need except the hanger on the driver's side. The shop fabricated one for me. So far, I have no rattles or drone.

Blue Mustang Registry #363
07 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 4.0
Wade Angel MadStang40

Are you installing this by yourself or going to a shop to get it done? Most members here will buy their choice of mufflers and an x or h pipe then take that hardware to their shop of choice where they will fabricate midpipes and install it all with the hangers they have on site.

I just thought it'd be a heck of a lot easier taking the basic components to the shop then having them use what they have in stock rather then worry about having every single piece...

2007 5spd Vista Blue 4.0L

93R tune/ Steeda CAI/ true dual conversion w/ Flowmasters/ Pypes shorties/
Tokico HP series dampers/ Eibach pro springs/ 18x9 and 18x10 AM GT500 wheels/
255/40/18 and 275/40/18 Nitto NT555s

My compilation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FClEtojW-9I
Walk around and rev: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyrqvJN2T3Y
MadStang40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2007, az, bbk, dual, exhaust, floor, hanger, headers, hitting, ls1, muffler, mustang, pannels, rockauto, shop, trans, tuning, v6