Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Octane Booster Opinions? Does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Mastermmm
Banned

Default Octane Booster Opinions? Does it work?

I've done some research on this, but no one really seems to know for sure. What are everyone's opinions? I know its a small price to pay, but I don't race much, so I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Also, what does Gumout work? I hear its great for dirty fuel injectors and all, and I've used it once, thought there was a small performance difference but I wasn't sure.

Thanks,

Mastermmm
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Octane booster: It's a no-no in the GT's because it known to cause some fouling and other related issues. I can't say for the 4.0 but I'd stay away from ANY additives with the exception of a good fuel system cleaner (see below).

Gumout: In it's day (and possibly still today), Gumout was one of the leading chemicals for cleaning carburetors. I don't know what it's capabilities these days are but most of the folks on this forum swear by Techron and SeaFoam; both available at WalMart. I tend to use Techron in all my vehicles every 8,000 -10,000 miles or at each oil change, whichever comes first, mainly as preventive maintenance. If I suspect a problem, I'll run SeaFoam. Both products don't seem to cause any issues with the S197 engines, V6 or V8.

Today's fuels are pretty good at keeping injectors and other parts of the fuel system clean but they're not perfect and the capabilities of the fuel can vary from station to station. Adding a fuel system cleaner to your tank on occasion is simply a good practice. It's not necessary but probably helps to some degree. Cheap insurance, IMO.

Last edited by Nuke; 04-10-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Oh, and be sure that whatever you DO use, you add it to the tank AT THE GAS STATION IMMEDIATLEY BEFORE FILLING THE TANK to allow it to mix properly. Too many bozo's add it to a 3/4 empty tank, drive off and then wonder why their engine dies.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Mastermmm
Banned

Excellent, thanks. Ill check out the Techron, and I put in the Octane Booster and didn't feel a difference. I'm definitely gonna ask for a refund, they say 100 percent guarantee or money back, haha, hopefully.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

What difference were you expecting to feel? Higher octane doesn't give increased performance, it's just related to proper compression and detonation and whatnot, preventing knocking basically. You mention racing, were you using it at the track? It's only really needed/useful then if you're running high boost, right?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Unless it's been retuned, your engine is designed to run 87 octane. Adding a bottle of octane boost isn't going to make any noticeable change in the way the car performs.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
Unless it's been retuned, your engine is designed to run 87 octane. Adding a bottle of octane boost isn't going to make any noticeable change in the way the car performs.
+1

Unless you're tuned for a higher octane, you wasted your money. Perhaps it would be better to learn about your engine before jumping blindly and impulsively.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Old 5.0's couldn't take octane booster because of the massive increase in engien heat. Like everyone is saying, unless tuned for it, you won't get much but problems if you run it a lot. If you want to keep it clean, run a tank of Shell V-Power (now all of their fuels have the same level of additives) once a month or so.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Mastermmm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1

Unless you're tuned for a higher octane, you wasted your money. Perhaps it would be better to learn about your engine before jumping blindly and impulsively.
You know, I really do appreciate everyone's helpful comments on this forum, except for yours. They are extremely rude and unnecessary. The bottle simply cost me 5 dollars, I wanted to try it out so I did. No need for the negative criticism.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Whoa there master. Nuke is a very well respected member with a lot of experience in all things s197. If you think his comment was bad, someone go find db157. He's also very good with s197's but I've seen kids cry

Quick Reply: Octane Booster Opinions? Does it work?