Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

4.0L v6 Auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 AM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.0L v6 Auto tranny

i have a 2006 v6 mustang with the auto trans..

it is my understanding that i have the same auto trans that comes in the GT so i would imgine it to be somewhat strong but i was wandering about how much HP can they hold?

and if anyone knows a good replacement tranny or if they know of a place that rebuilds/builds trans?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Well their are plenty of GT guys with 400hp who are still using the stock auto trans. I assume that they can handle plenty. This question might get more responses/help in the GT section simply because they probably make enough power to know the limits of the transmission better then the V6 guys.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Well their are plenty of GT guys with 400hp who are still using the stock auto trans. I assume that they can handle plenty. This question might get more responses/help in the GT section simply because they probably make enough power to know the limits of the transmission better then the V6 guys.

your prolly right ill repost it there
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I ran the stock V6 transmission with 325 hp for 3 years with no issues whatsoever, and that's with over 200 passes at the track. The transmission itself can handle the power with no problem (rated '550'). The input shaft is a little soft, but for a 4.0, unless you're running high boost with a built engine, you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

well i will be running a 4.3 built stroker... and ill be running atleast 12-15 psi
atleast so
Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Cool!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

From what tx said, maybe posting in the GT section won't help. The GT and V6 have different input shafts and torque converters. There must be a V6 with almost 400 hp somewhere around here that can answer your question.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

hopefully i get an answer soon my motor wil be in shortly
Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

The V6 and GTs autos both use the 5R55S trans, but there's some minor differences. You can't bolt up a V6 auto trans to a GT motor, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure the input/output shafts and bellhousings are different.

You could also have your current auto trans rebuilt if you're worried about it holding up. It won't be cheap, but it's piece of mind if you're running decent power numbers. My (auto) trans crapped out on me in December, so I had it rebuilt stronger and upgraded the torque converter along with other things. He also suggested using diesel clutch packs, so that they can withhold a schit ton of torque.

TCI also sells transmissions that are built for racing. Not necessarily a cheap route either, but what's the saying? Gotta pay to play?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

yea modding cars..... nothing cheap about it... haha who rebuilt yours?

Quick Reply: 4.0L v6 Auto tranny