Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Installed CHE relocation brackets, readjusted PYPES, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
OhioUSMC1
1st Gear Member

Default Installed CHE relocation brackets, readjusted PYPES, etc.

Well, had a little weekend project going on and it was fun but tiresome. I took my Silver Racer up to my friends garage where I do all my installs, since I lack the facilities at home. I installed the CHE lower control arm relocation brackets, readjusted my PYPES Bomb exhaust, repainted the calipers, new brake pads, removed old chin spoiler, and changed rear end gear fluid w/hopes of toning my annoying gear whine down. Here is recap of each project and results.

1) CHE brackets were a snap to install and boy did they instantly improve the handling characteristics of the Stang. I installed them in part to fix my suspension geometry after my lowering springs settled. Also, because I changed my rims from a staggered set to some factory 18in FanBlades. The Stang felt SO much lighter on her feet with the rim swap and pulls hard in the lower gears. Installing the CHE brackets got her planted firm again and improved ride quality all the while maintaining her new found quickness, but I have slightly noticed more roll in turns due to the change in rims and tires, which should be better corrected when I change the tires out from factory spec soon.

2) I installed my PYPES the day I bought them in my garage without jacks and they weren't situated correctly and stuck WAY to far out and the left side was canted to the right. So, I pulled them off while in the air and properly seated them on the exhaust pipes and using a rubber wrench and some good old WD-40 I wrenched them into place fixing the "sticking to far out the end issue". I then readjusted each hanger till they sat the way I needed them with a little bending. The look I was aiming for, which I achieved, was a slight down angle cant resembling an old school exhaust. I left about a 1 inch gap between each exhaust cutout for easy cleaning as well. These PYPES Bomb baffled deletes are amazing sounding on the V6, real racy. They don't pop or rasp, just real rumble in the pants. They are a bit loud and some highway drone but well worth the grin on my face. I felt a good amount gain with this exhaust over my old takeoff GTs as well.

3) Repainted the calipers and installed new brake pads. Pretty much nothing to report there except I used red caliper paint and I needed the new pads, because my rears were real worn out.

4) Removed old custom GT500 chin spoiler. Self-explanatory. I am replacing the new one with a CDC chin spoiler in the next few days. New one needs painted matte black and install will follow. That is another thread.

5) Changed rear end fluid. This was not real difficult. There has been a few write ups on this, so I'll spare everyone the details. Essentially I was hoping to negate some of the gear whine I had in my rear end after my crappy gear install done by a shop while I was in Afghanistan. When I drained the old fluid first thing I noticed was there was barely any fluid in it, which raised some eyebrows. Anyhow, my good friend made a gasket and we resealed the cover with high temp silicon and the new gasket to ensure a good seal. We refilled the rear end with royal purple and 1 1/2 bottles of friction modifier. I noticed some whine noise decrease. It sounds better than before, but the fact is a bad gear install is a bad gear install and the whine will always be there. I am hoping after the clutch pads take the new fluids in it will decrease in noise just a tad more. In a month or two I am completely changing out the gears w/a new set of 3.73s to finally abolish the whine. Here's hoping it goes great the second time around!

That's all I got for now! CDC chin spoiler install will come with another thread! Then I will give a full photo shoot of the Stang in her new clothes. I have been reworking her look and feel. This is the Stang's second go round of mods. I love owning a car that is endlessly customizable.

The LT
Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
OhioUSMC1
1st Gear Member

Just bought a JEGS 3.73 gears and install kit to fix my gear whine today.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Like you as well I suffer from a horrible gear install and live with a constant whine, when the car is paid off in my case I will be upgrading to the 8.8 with 4.10's.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
OhioUSMC1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
Like you as well I suffer from a horrible gear install and live with a constant whine, when the car is paid off in my case I will be upgrading to the 8.8 with 4.10's.
I was very upset at the gear whine after install since it costs so dang much, but I was in Afghanistan when it was installed and my wife did not know what to think of the new noise and thought it was part of the upgrade so I couldn't do a thing about it till I got home 6 months later and all I got was half the install price knocked off. Still mad about it two years later.