Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 swap to V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
It isn't extremely hard to find a V6 and equivalent same year GT in an '05, '06 or '07 with a $2k - $3k price spread. Even if you could find the engine, tranny, rear, electronics and suspension parts for $3k (which would be a bargain) you have one heck of a lot of work to do.
Ehhh you also have to consider that people may not want to get rid of their current car or have some form of attachment to it, I can tell you I would not trade my car. You also have to consider insurance cost just for it being a V8/GT.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The bell housings are different; and different # bolts. You can't bolt up a 4.0 automatic to a 4.6 block.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
The bell housings are different; and different # bolts. You can't bolt up a 4.0 automatic to a 4.6 block.
First hand experience!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

so considering a mustang v6 with an 8.8 (assumed they already had it bc it is 100% necessary when going to a v8) would require (minimum):

v8 engine
-intake, alternator, radiator, motor mounts, fuel lines, ac hook-up, exhaust
computer
-wiring harness, gauges
GT suspension
-GT brake rotors and bracket, at least stock GT shocks and springs, sway bars
Drivetrain
-driveshaft, transmission, clutch/torque converter

thats generally the stuff needed. although it may seem like a ton of stuff to gather and make sure it will all work properly, it is not the biggest thing in the world. if you are someone who has limited to beginner experience working on cars i would not even think about it, but for those who know about cars and all the other "little" things that go along with this while also being willing to put forth the time and effort into it, id say go for it.

The beginners, dont hurt yourself, buy a GT.

The easiest way to do this, although maybe not the most cost effective (debatable) it to buy a barely totaled/wrecked GT and swap the parts over. this will save time looking for compatible parts, frustration, and in some cases money. money because all the parts are already there, you may have to get a few things. no time and money wasted buying new or looking for used stuff on top of the other things you forgot lol

i have not personally done this, but talked to many that have and this seems to be the way most shaped up. i will eventually do this (note 8.8 and GT brakes upgrade) but im holding off till i can get a hold of a 5.8!

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 05-03-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Once my car is paid off I'm buying a wrecked gt swapping all the necessary parts over, with buying a wrecked gt as well, if there are parts that are still in decent shape you can sell them to try to recoupe some of the costs of buying the car.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
so considering a mustang v6 with an 8.8 (assumed they already had it bc it is 100% necessary when going to a v8) would require (minimum):

v8 engine
-intake, alternator, radiator, motor mounts, fuel lines, ac hook-up, exhaust
computer
-wiring harness, gauges
GT suspension
-GT brake rotors and bracket, at least stock GT shocks and springs, sway bars
Drivetrain
-driveshaft, transmission, clutch/torque converter
All those are not "required" to do a swap and make it work. Sure, you would ideally like the upgraded suspension and brakes, but the weight difference is not that much (iron v6 engine vs 4.6 aluminum engine).

You do need the entire v8 engine and accessories (including air intake box and tube or a CAI), transmission, flexplate and adapter, torque converter, cooling system hoses, fuel line hose section from fuel rail to fuel line under fender, pcm (for your year/pcm), engine wiring harness (for your year/pcm), power steering steel line, a/c lines from the compressor, exhaust of your choice. Then, a tune to disable PATS until you get it reprogrammed by the dealer.

The rest of what's in your V6 can be used, including radiator, instrument cluster, driveshaft (automatic), rear end (although you should upgrade to a 8.8), brakes, suspension, etc.

That's about it.
The best bet is indeed to get a wrecked donor GT with engine/drivetrain intact, especially if the rear end is good, too.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I'd love to have a conversation with someone who has done this, such as tx zstang. This is something I'm considering doing after about 5 or 6 years
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Ehhh you also have to consider that people may not want to get rid of their current car or have some form of attachment to it, I can tell you I would not trade my car. You also have to consider insurance cost just for it being a V8/GT.
LMAO

Ok, so you drop in the V8 plus all of the ancillary hardware you need to make it work, which by the way almost surely can't be done for a price that would be less than just buying a GT. But anyway, you do all of this so that you can have the V8 but according to your post you can continue to pay V6 level insurance premiums.

Have you stopped to consider what happens if you get in a wreck and have to have some engine work done? Your insurance company is going to drop you and the repair bill is all yours buddy. lol
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
LMAO

Ok, so you drop in the V8 plus all of the ancillary hardware you need to make it work, which by the way almost surely can't be done for a price that would be less than just buying a GT. But anyway, you do all of this so that you can have the V8 but according to your post you can continue to pay V6 level insurance premiums.

Have you stopped to consider what happens if you get in a wreck and have to have some engine work done? Your insurance company is going to drop you and the repair bill is all yours buddy. lol
Every ignorant post you make, makes me sick.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I am in th position of spending roughly 3k for suspension and brakes, plus wheels and tires, I can do the swap on my own so I don't have to worry about labor costs and I love working on cars so it's not a waste of my time and I have seen wrecked gt's go for sale around 3k at auctions, then you can sell the 4.0 parts from your car and possibly some of the parts off the wrecked car. It's much easier to go and buy a gt, but it's not as fun as seeing your car transform from a v6 to a v8, plus you can learn alot about your car by doing the swap.

Quick Reply: V6 swap to V8