Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

First time racing!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

For the cost of heads cams and the amount of power you get from them it isn't worth it, not worth it in general to build an all motor V6. Forced induction is the way to go!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Do you know how to take off well? If not then you may want to post pone your race.
Tanner , I have absolutely NO idea how to take off well haha. Im not going to race this weekend.

injen, he said his puts out about 240-250 HP, If that is true then i know I would probably be screwed lol.

Madstang Lol Definitely. Im installing my first mod(CAI) myself as soon as i get the tuner and I will take pics. Gears are looking really good right now Im probably going with that for my 2nd mod!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

If he is pushing 240-250 HP, with a lighter Stang, he will beat you hands down. Lowest cost wise, CAI/tune really wakes up the stangs and adds some horses under the hood. You will definitely feel a difference with a custom tune.
Where are you planning on racing? track, street etc.?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

If that's 240-250hp to the wheels(which I'm assuming if he did if he actually did a dyno on the car), then yeah, you will have to put a good amount of mods. Let's say it was from the crank, then you definitely have a chance. Raced my friend's 2005 350Z(stock-287hp crank) from a roll, and I was actually on him. He DID beat me, but not by as much(half a car or 1 car, but stayed on him) as I thought. My mods were: Flowmaster exhaust, diablo predator 87 tune(now have 93 tune installed and feels much better), and a cold air intake. Then again, he drives with his seat pretty far back, so maybe he didn't get that leverage you get from driving close haha. Some might know what I'm talking about...? Being that close of a race, I'm pretty sure I'll take him if and when I install the 4.10 gears. Point is, if I got close to him in his Zed, then I'm very sure you can take him(if that's 240hp to the crank of course) when you get all the mods(listed) installed. Then again, depends on the driver and different factors..
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
WRONG..... you do NOT want to get a new throttle body.
The one you have on there now is FINE and many people run into problems with the aftermarket throttle body.

Money could be spent MUCH better on other mods.
SHORTY HEADERS ARE A NO TOO.
Shorties are really just for sound. Really a waste for power. Money better spent elsewhere as well.

Cams can add around 30-40hp while combined with
long tube headers on most V8's.
Not sure about the 6ers.
Not even sure of a company that makes them.

For starters go with CAI, tune, and gears.

Beyond that you are looking at spending some serious cash.

A bit of good spirited advice.
It's not wise to go spend a buttload of money just to race a friend.
Especially if you are not smart with cars.
Not only can it get EXTREMELY expensive, but it is dangerous as well.
If you are going to do this do it because you have a true interest in cars and will
continue to in the future. Not just to measure di*ks with a buddy.

If you just start throwing stuff on your car just because people say it will make your car faster you
may end up messing up your car too.
Meaning of that sentence? Educate yourself about what each part does and also on what you must do in order
to make sure each part is working correctly when you put in on your car so that nothing will be wrong without your knowledge and
end up costing you your engine. (I.E. a bad tune or something). So know the clue's of a bad tune and what one might do, etc.
Not saying you are not going to get educated first.... I'm just saying make sure you do.
Sounds like issues from the installer about the throttle body, and have you had this issue yourself? If so, I would accept the fact that you have the most knowledge towards the subject. And he already said he was getting gears and a tuner... in your suggestion of " CAI, tune and gears " so you're not really providing any other examples, since i already stated a cold air intake to increase power, you're just criticizing me.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I'm not sure what you should do about take off I have never had an auto.
A higher stall converter and better LCAs would help a lot with that. Posi too
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by whitethunder09
Tanner , I have absolutely NO idea how to take off well haha. Im not going to race this weekend.
Yeah the only reason I say wait it, if you lose you want it to be because it was your car, not you. Otherwise you will get made fun of by your friends. Lol
Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by markkk
Sounds like issues from the installer about the throttle body, and have you had this issue yourself? If so, I would accept the fact that you have the most knowledge towards the subject. And he already said he was getting gears and a tuner... in your suggestion of " CAI, tune and gears " so you're not really providing any other examples, since i already stated a cold air intake to increase power, you're just criticizing me.
Yes I've gone through the TB issue.
After the problems were solved it gave a whopping gain of 2HP.
I've seen quotes of higher gains but NONE that are worth the price and would have been better money spent elsewhere.
If you got a GOOD gain just from a throttle body with no big mods to support it PLEASE post some proof of it.
I'd be delighted to find someone that received a great gain from a throttle body without some major mods to support it.
I have PLENTY of experience in mods. I have dealt with the good ones and the not so good ones that I wish I had put money towards elsewhere.
The throttle body is definitely in the group of regrets.

I'm not on this forum to criticize ANYONE.
So please don't take it that way.
I've been here a long time and the members know me as a good guy that just tries to help others while at the same time gain the knowledge that the fellow members have to offer on this forum. I have no intention of making others angry nor taking shots at other members.
That's not what I am here for and that's not what this forum is about.

I am just trying to help someone modding their vehicle and give some advice on where money would be best put and give the best gains for the money.

It's kinda like putting an intake on an otherwise stock car. You wont see the gains unless you have the big mods that NEED those components to take full advantage of the main mods.

If you took my post as an insult please accept this as an apology. Like I said I'm only here to help AND to further my knowledge while at the same time enjoying the company of Mustang enthusiasts.

When I said CAI/Tune and gears I was meaning this was what he should start with.
I was also kinda saying "ditto" to the people who posted those as mods.
I also was saying cams would be nice if you can find them for the sixxer.
So are long tube headers to complement them and take full advantage of them.
Forced induction goes without saying but you get into the big dollars when you go there.
I also said that shorties would not be best but rather long tubes so yes i am offering advices and suggestions and not
just repeating others. Are you bent on thinking others are out to make you sound bad? I hope not because that is not why I nor any other person posting on this thread has done.

NOT criticizing you at ALL. I would encourage you to not be so sensitive and not be so negative with your thoughts as far as the
intentions of others on the forum. Your ideas were great. I just don't agree with the TB suggestion and I know MANY other members would
agree with me. This subject has been spoken of MANY times on the forum. Research it and you will find out this is true.
So again... I was in NO WAY trying to insult or criticize you at ALL.
Cheers my friend and chill out a little lol!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 05-04-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

There are two TB's that work well on the 4.0, Zaptec makes one, and then there is a ebay seller that makes one that works well. I don't recall the sellers name. Regardless, the gains on a TB for a NA car are minimal. Wouldn't bother unlesss you are boosted.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Yes I've gone through the TB issue.
After the problems were solved it gave a whopping gain of 2HP.
I've seen quotes of higher gains but NONE that are worth the price and would have been better money spent elsewhere.
If you got a GOOD gain just from a throttle body with no big mods to support it PLEASE post some proof of it.
I'd be delighted to find someone that received a great gain from a throttle body without some major mods to support it.
I have PLENTY of experience in mods. I have dealt with the good ones and the not so good ones that I wish I had put money towards elsewhere.
The throttle body is definitely in the group of regrets.

I'm not on this forum to criticize ANYONE.
So please don't take it that way.
I've been here a long time and the members know me as a good guy that just tries to help others while at the same time gain the knowledge that the fellow members have to offer on this forum. I have no intention of making others angry nor taking shots at other members.
That's not what I am here for and that's not what this forum is about.

I am just trying to help someone modding their vehicle and give some advice on where money would be best put and give the best gains for the money.

It's kinda like putting an intake on an otherwise stock car. You wont see the gains unless you have the big mods that NEED those components to take full advantage of the main mods.

If you took my post as an insult please accept this as an apology. Like I said I'm only here to help AND to further my knowledge while at the same time enjoying the company of Mustang enthusiasts.

When I said CAI/Tune and gears I was meaning this was what he should start with.
I was also kinda saying "ditto" to the people who posted those as mods.
I also was saying cams would be nice if you can find them for the sixxer.
So are long tube headers to complement them and take full advantage of them.
Forced induction goes without saying but you get into the big dollars when you go there.
I also said that shorties would not be best but rather long tubes so yes i am offering advices and suggestions and not
just repeating others. Are you bent on thinking others are out to make you sound bad? I hope not because that is not why I nor any other person posting on this thread has done.

NOT criticizing you at ALL. I would encourage you to not be so sensitive and not be so negative with your thoughts as far as the
intentions of others on the forum. Your ideas were great. I just don't agree with the TB suggestion and I know MANY other members would
agree with me. This subject has been spoken of MANY times on the forum. Research it and you will find out this is true.
So again... I was in NO WAY trying to insult or criticize you at ALL.
Cheers my friend and chill out a little lol!
Its all good, I felt like you were criticizing me at the beginning instead of correcting me, thats why i fired back, i'm okay with corrections though, but i understand where you are coming from and see your points =] peace

Quick Reply: First time racing!!