Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

First time racing!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:17 PM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

Default First time racing!!

Okay I am racing my friend next weekend and he has a 2004 v6 performance engine that was rebuilt and it is like a 4.1 motor or something i dont know. but apparently he has a really fast car. I am looking into some mods that will help me beat him but am not that smart with cars which is why I'm asking you guys.
The first thing I am getting is a tuner. Then next I am getting gears, probably 4.10 with an automatic correct?? Also I was wondering about getting Cams. I havent really read up on them in these forums so idk. Are they good to go on V6s or what? Will they increase my horsepower a good amount?? Im just trying to learn. Thank you for the help in advance and all the help in the past. Also if there are any other mods besides superchargers that you would suggest then please tell me!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Cold Air Intake, I believe they are available at americanmuscle.com

also a throttle body, shorty headers, idk about cams
Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by markkk
Cold Air Intake, I believe they are available at americanmuscle.com

also a throttle body, shorty headers, idk about cams

WRONG..... you do NOT want to get a new throttle body.
The one you have on there now is FINE and many people run into problems with the aftermarket throttle body.

Money could be spent MUCH better on other mods.
SHORTY HEADERS ARE A NO TOO.
Shorties are really just for sound. Really a waste for power. Money better spent elsewhere as well.

Cams can add around 30-40hp while combined with
long tube headers on most V8's.
Not sure about the 6ers.
Not even sure of a company that makes them.

For starters go with CAI, tune, and gears.

Beyond that you are looking at spending some serious cash.

A bit of good spirited advice.
It's not wise to go spend a buttload of money just to race a friend.
Especially if you are not smart with cars.
Not only can it get EXTREMELY expensive, but it is dangerous as well.
If you are going to do this do it because you have a true interest in cars and will
continue to in the future. Not just to measure di*ks with a buddy.

If you just start throwing stuff on your car just because people say it will make your car faster you
may end up messing up your car too.
Meaning of that sentence? Educate yourself about what each part does and also on what you must do in order
to make sure each part is working correctly when you put in on your car so that nothing will be wrong without your knowledge and
end up costing you your engine. (I.E. a bad tune or something). So know the clue's of a bad tune and what one might do, etc.
Not saying you are not going to get educated first.... I'm just saying make sure you do.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 04-21-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

If you're racing your friend next weekend (at a track I hope) you better start buying parts now. Does he have his stock 3.8L bored out to 4.1L? Is that what you're trying to say? If he's as quick as he sounds (heavily modified block and a good deal lighter than our s197's) I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. You need to grab a CAI/tuner and steeper gears along with a limited slip differential like, yesterday! haha
Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

All I can say is that you'll probably do a one-wheel peel out from a dig, which kind of sucks. Well, at least that's what happened to me no matter what rpm I had it at(then again, I was stock), that's why I tried racing(when isolated of course) from a roll. That way, even with an automatic, you can still use the 1, 2 and 3rd gear. Get it at a good rpm from a roll, then GO!!! Hahah...If stock, then not sure what the outcome would be. My recommendations:
-Cold Air Intake
-Aftermarket exhaust(I have Flowmaster 40 Series)
-Tune(I have the Diablo Predator, but others have the SCT Tune, both are good and the tune definitely made a difference).
-4.10 Gears with lsd(I don't have gears myself YET, but the majority or all REALLY recommend that mod)
Of course the list goes on, but those would be the main mods for me.
Thanks, good luck and be careful!!!

Last edited by injen07; 04-21-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 PM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

Blacksmoke, Trust me i have been there and done that. I love the idea of modding the car and I am slowly getting educated on everything about it so I can make sure if I do an install i do it right, for all the advanced stuff she is going to the shop lol. I honestly do not care about the race really just wanting some good ideas for mods.
Madstang, thanks haha that is really what I have been planning on for a while just waiting to get the extra money to do it.\
and injen, is there any way I can avoid a one wheel peel out?? I have thought about all 3 of those mods besides the exhaust. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

It might be a little late to get these installed by next week.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...1HeadsCams.pdf

Pair these with an aluminum drive shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 or 4.10 gears and throw in a supercharger for good measure. That should whip your friend.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Do you know how to take off well? If not then you may want to post pone your race. I'm not sure what you should do about take off I have never had an auto. But if you don't know how to start properly you will be screwed even with a tune.

Last edited by Tanner05; 04-21-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:34 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whitethunder09
Blacksmoke, Trust me i have been there and done that. I love the idea of modding the car and I am slowly getting educated on everything about it so I can make sure if I do an install i do it right, for all the advanced stuff she is going to the shop lol. I honestly do not care about the race really just wanting some good ideas for mods.
Madstang, thanks haha that is really what I have been planning on for a while just waiting to get the extra money to do it.\
and injen, is there any way I can avoid a one wheel peel out?? I have thought about all 3 of those mods besides the exhaust. Thanks for the advice!
Yea there's a way you can avoid a one wheel peel... the limited slip differential (t-loc)! haha.

I understand you need to save money, I've been doing the same for my next mods since January. If you're going to race your friend next week, most likely you'll be stock and it's likely you'll lose if he's got a lot of money and time into his block. Like Blacksmoke said though, do this because you want to mod your mustang and make it yours, not because you want to beat one friend in a pissing contest haha.

Oh yea, when you do get those mods, remember... pics or it never happened haha.

Last edited by MadStang40; 04-21-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: inaccuracy
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 PM
injen07
1st Gear Member

To avoid a one-wheel peel out, get a limited slip differential(lsd) or what others call t-lok. That should help you get a better take off because you're using both wheels instead of one(more traction in other words). Perhaps even better tires(better grip) will help you out. I don't know much about what tires to get or recommend, but I know the others would. Without the lsd, I couldn't avoid it, even without revs from a dig. Do you know how fast is car is or any hp numbers? Try contacting him and ask when you can. Now I'm curious...
Thanks

Last edited by injen07; 04-21-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Additional words

Quick Reply: First time racing!!