Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New owner (new overall) looking for advice on dual exhaust set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation New owner (new overall) looking for advice on dual exhaust set-up

hello everybody! fairly new to cars and to this site so I was looking for some advice if anyone would be willing to help. Trying to decide between swapping my Y pipe to an H pipe (stock GT) and getting Flowmaster American thunder mufflers. Another option would be 05-09 Mustang V6 Borla True Dual Cat Back Exhaust System w X Pipe. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these two setups, although open to new ideas. Also curious about X pipes and H pipes and differences in sound and overall efficiency with the v6. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The cheapest route is to check Craigslist and buy a complete takeoff dual set up from a GT. You can also swap mufflers out if you want to change your tone a little but I love the way mine sounds.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

does the GT take off setup effect back pressure or anything on the car? and do you have any videos or clips of your car?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 PM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ares05
does the GT take off setup effect back pressure or anything on the car? and do you have any videos or clips of your car?
Yes, it reduces back pressure. Less back pressure is good, and anyone that tells you otherwise knows not of which they speak. However, it will also reduce exhaust velocity at lower RPMs, and the reduction in exhaust velocity negatively impacts performance at lower RPMs.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

First off, thank you Vista for your advice, I really am greatful for it. my second question is though I am a daily driver, and the exhaust I have on now has drone and annoying. I thought about doing a pypes dual exhaust kit from American muscle but after listing to the clips it sounded like a ricer... would a x-pipe have a bad sound compared to the H-pipe? and would it have any negative effects. which one then would you recommend?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

X pipe has better performance but sounds ricier. I haven't gotten a good driveby clip of my exhaust yet but it sounds great for a v6 to me and has no drone. I'll try to get a clip sometime this week

This is a clip with just a GT muffle, no dual exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upjAMEwBBsM

Sorry for mic quality
Old 05-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Thank you JCON that actually does sound pretty good. If there really is no significant change is performance for an H-pipe thats probably what I would go with because im a daily driver not racing on a track or anything. this is a JBA H-pipe with the A/T flowmaster axleback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk4Q4...eature=related

tell me what you think about this setup
Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

for an NA V6, there isn't much appreciable difference in any of the dual set ups for performance. Just sound.

This sounds ok but his engine isn't warmed up yet and its not a drive by. Also, with many aftermarket mufflers you have to worry about drone if there are no resonators or a slight difference between the two sides. Ford built in a slight difference to their GT mufflers to eliminate drone.

Exhausts sound totally different under three conditions:

1. After they've been installed on the car for about 1,500 miles (that's when mine started sounding really good)
2. After the engine has hit its normal operating temperature
3. In a drive by situation or under throttle.

I have a few clips of my exhaust from Single muffle to dual but they are just stationary neutral revs, doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it does when its actually in gear and moving.

Last edited by JCON; 05-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

solid point, there was a take off video of another guys stang but he had shorty headers and a pypes x pipe with the A/T axleback's. I had to go check the exhaust VIN on mine and I just realized it has a GT muffler... bought it but they never notified me of it and I never looked haha, still learning about mustangs btw...
so what all would I have to buy to make a H-pipe with muffler set up work and what would the total cost be?
H pipe around a hundered?
A/T axle back about 300?
anything else I would need?
Old 05-21-2011, 03:51 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I'm about to add a video to youtube of my single GT/M and then full GT system. I'll post here after.

You need:

H-pipe - I got mine on Craigslist for $25 with cats, sold my extra cats for $90 to a junk yard

Exhaust pipes - got 2.5" GT exhaust pipes on Craigslist for $50. (threw away the V6 right side pipe since it's only 2.25")

Left side exhaust hangers - bought stack racing hangers on ebay for $20

Left side muffler

From here you can either do it yourself and buy clamps or weld it.

Most shops would probably charge between $100-200 depending on what exactly you ask them to do.

Quick Reply: New owner (new overall) looking for advice on dual exhaust set-up