Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT muffle, aftermarket axelback or dual exhaust for 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I got my 2010 gt axleback for 10 bucks off craigslist. It's pretty damn loud, i have to admit. It sounds and looks great, too. I'll try to post a vid tomorrow
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

^ That would be amazingly awesome of you to post a video.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 AM
numb1zero

thanks for the v6mustangstuff website, awesome prices.
i'm seriously considering the True Dual Exhaust Kit for $320. Especially because a supercharger may very well be in the stang's future.
I'd really like to see that video of your gt takeoff single, jaybestangs94. If yall think that would be as good as any aftermarket as far as performance goes, it might be the way to go even if just until I upgrade to the $320 kit from v6mustangstuff.
Thanks for all of your responses!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
^ That would be amazingly awesome of you to post a video.
Yes sir, will do! Adds to my motivation of finally posting one, now that i've finally got the exhaust broken in.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Here's the vid. My car is m/t and the exhaust is off a 2010 m/t gt. This is a warm start vid. The quality is not that great but i think it did the job I also did a driveby one but that didn't come out that great.
http://youtu.be/FRrky3YRsTA
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Gen5_40
1st Gear Member

I tried the Flowmaster AT single and found it to be a bit annoying in both sound and level off idle. It did have a nice burble at idle.

Moving to a GT take off single the sound was more refined and drew many compliments from those who heard it. It had a nice rip under acceleration.

Recently I went to duals using GT mid pipes and mufflers with a custom H pipe (2.5 sides and 2.25 cross over). For me the duals are just right. Not annoyingly loud and the exhaust has a nice song under acceleration. Though not quite there, the sound it does remind me of some European sports cars.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Some good stuff here. I had procured GT takeoffs a while ago and mounted one only. Not sure if it was from a manual or auto trans GT... but it sounds nice. That being said, I recently procured a takeoff system from a manual trans GT from the H-pipe back. Including the mufflers. I have a pypes X-pipe and once I get all the clamps and hangers, it will be ready for install. Hopefully.... soon.

As to the advantage of duals over single... yeah, if you're not X-charging, etc., the induction there's no performance reason to go duals. Single takeoff will get you all the gains you can realize with a normally aspirated intake.

However.... the advantage of duals pursuant to APPEARANCE and SOUND is a whole other ball game. The looks... symmetry of duals... makes an immense difference methinks. And of course the sound will be significantly different as well.

I have an X-cal tuner and once I get the duals installed... and maybe upgrade to a CAI then I'll revisit the settings on my tuner to more closely match what I've equipped it with. Pretty much about all I plan on doing... after all, it's a daily driver and I need for it to last another 100K miles.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 PM
andywalls

if your not big into sound just throw duels on there with old GT mufflers. itll sound good and make your car look better. its the best of both worlds.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:18 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I just ordered the boomtube axelback for the V6 from Ninosport. Ill get a decent vid up/ report back when I get it bolted up and hopefully wipe that **** eating grin off my face
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Tino79

Can I take a Magna Flow system from a Shelby GT and fit it to my 4.0 V6. Will the configuration work to make true dual exhaust with a Y pipe

Quick Reply: GT muffle, aftermarket axelback or dual exhaust for 4.0?