Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

oil choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Vladyfan

Thanks guys! I was just speaking to my hubby about this subject. I have only owned my 2010 for about a month. I did not really know the difference with the synthetics vs. traditional oils. If I am reading correctly, you guys really suggest it....
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I can't say that we "suggest" it, I personally say that the car COMES with synthetic blend from the factory and that the Owners Manual for my '07 implies that you can use ANY oil; dino, blend or full syn. Either of the 3 will provide equivalent performance and longevity provided you change each one at the correct frequency. I use full synthetics in my Stang and SUV because I don't want to change the oil every 2-4 months, period. It really has nothing to do with one being better than the other. If you use good ol' dino oil and change it with a good filter every 3k miles, your car will last as long as the guy using the blend doing 5k-7k mile frequency changes or the guy using full syn doing 10k-15k mile changes. There's just too much hype from the oil companies to make normal lay folk see straight.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I can't say that we "suggest" it, I personally say that the car COMES with synthetic blend from the factory and that the Owners Manual for my '07 implies that you can use ANY oil; dino, blend or full syn. Either of the 3 will provide equivalent performance and longevity provided you change each one at the correct frequency. I use full synthetics in my Stang and SUV because I don't want to change the oil every 2-4 months, period. It really has nothing to do with one being better than the other. If you use good ol' dino oil and change it with a good filter every 3k miles, your car will last as long as the guy using the blend doing 5k-7k mile frequency changes or the guy using full syn doing 10k-15k mile changes. There's just too much hype from the oil companies to make normal lay folk see straight.
I totally agree with you on this but would add one thing. All oil brands are definitely not the same and some perform much better than others be it dino, blend or full synthetic. I don't want to start a brand war so will only mention what I personally run. I have seen engines develop a sticky valve after only running 50 miles or so on a certain brand of oil using the correct viscosity then change it out to another brand I know from experience works better to fix that issue. I have also seen engines sludge up really bad running an oil with an inferior detergent package. Same thing, changing to a brand I know from experience has a better additive package cleans that mess up to. There are very good oils available in all three types that will lubricate well and keep your engine clean. But there are definitley oils you can buy that will not. Some of them nationally recognized name brands!

Last edited by Nice Pony; 06-21-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Vladyfan

Ok.. so what oil do I stay away from? We tend to keep our cors a very long time. My hubby has 300k on his Mark VIII. I want to take good care of my baby and keep it running as long as possible.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

What NicePony means is... Join our club, we use AMSOil
Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Not going to start an oil war debate buy telling you what I know is for sure crap but I will tell you what I know from personal experience works.

Dino Oil = Chevron or Chevron Delo, Quaker State
Blend = Chevron Delo, Motorcraft or Quaker State
Full Synthetic = Amsoil, Royal Purple or Chevron

Note: Since Quaker state and Pennzoil merged I don't now if they have kept the oils to there original specifications or bottle the same stuff under different brands. At any rate I quite using it when they merged.

I personally run:
Amsoil 5W30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil
Motorcraft FL-820-S or Amsoil EaO11 Oil Filter or
FilterMAG HP-365 Magnetic Oil Filter System

Last edited by Nice Pony; 06-22-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Vladyfan

Thanks!