Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

cherry bomb extreme vs Pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Stang_Jr

Default cherry bomb extreme vs Pro

Ok here is the thing ...I have a 05 v6 with true dual pypes m80 Mid Mufflers and hi-flow cats. Now a friend of mine has an eclipse that sounds just like my stang, and that makes me think my car might sound kinda like a burner. So which of the 2 mufflers in the title will give me a more "old school muscle car" sound? Oh! Please do not tell me to get flowmasters instead they are crap IMO.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Cherry Bomb? Careful, your bell bottoms are showing...

I honestly couldn't tell you which.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Stang_Jr

Haha well i've heard the extreme's are getting pretty popular here in the south. But the pro's sound very similar to flowmaster 40's just not as hollow sounding. Just tired of this nascar/harley sound these m80 mm are giving off
Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
95SHO
2nd Gear Member

It's a V6 you will never get an old school muscle car sound. I went through the same thing with my 01 Explorer which happens to have a 2008 Mustang 4.0 in it.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Stang_Jr

Well 95SHO im well aware i will never get that old school sound. Which is why I asked which of the 2 will give me a more old school... see that? "A MORE" not saying which will give me the old school sound but closer too it. But **** on it ill go pro's instead of extreme to save my ears.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

No, he means you won't get within a million miles of an old school sound. Unless you swap in a 351 like one dude did. Have you tried youtube'ing various exhaust setups for our stangs to see which you like best?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Stang_Jr

Haha well i've seen some setups but there is not many videos of the 4.0 with either setup. But I have confidence the pro's with give me closer to a old school sound than a flowmaster. But a old school muscle car's sound that is a raspy, hollow, deep sound like most ppl want. I want a deep growl at idle and cruising but very agressive at WOT. MY mm M80's almost give me that sound but its to mellow at ilde, and wayy to high pitched WOT.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I don't know if it is quite what you are looking for, but I really like the sound of some MACs with an H pipe on our cars.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Stang_Jr

Well Macs were one of my thoughts but most people have said that they drone eipcly bad. Can anyone post a clip of a set-up with some Macs?.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Stin42
1st Gear Member

The reason your car sounds exactly like the eclipse probably because its the v6 eclipse. You can't make your car not sound like a 6 so it will always bear a resemblance.

That said I'm not 100% sure on your setup, but if its as I read it you haven't got a midpipe (x or h) that the first issue you have. That'll ad a few less than desirable characteristics to the sound. Go H as it will mellow out the m80s and hi flow cats and be much less raspy than the x. Have one made, if you shop around it won't be expensive.

Muffler wise I've only ever had two mufflers that i was pleased with out of quite a few. I liked the stingers, they make your idle very deep at the cost of muddling the tone at rpms giving it a euro sound. Flowmasters are the second I like. I never liked them until I stood behind the car at idle. But once again at low rpms its deep, not as deep as the stingers, but less euro at revs.

Quick Reply: cherry bomb extreme vs Pro