Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

disappointed with dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Default disappointed with dyno #'s

I put my v6 on the dyno this morning and am fairly disappointed with the numbers I got. I wanted to get a "before" number because I am stongly thinking of Xcharging in the next month and a half or so. I have a couple questions...

What is the procedure as far as running on the dyno? My car is an "auto" so do I just put it in "D" and run it up with the OD off or run it in 3rd? The dyno guy wanted to run it in 3rd, but I wonder if I would have gotten better numbers the other way.

Knowing that a "mustang dyno" gives smaller numbers, that is what I used. My tuner likes working with that dyno person and a dynojet is kinda hard to find around here. The guy told me that a dynojet will say about 10-20 more hp.

I ran 139 hp and 161 trq on the ground. My car is an 06 V6, and has a CAI with a 93 "street" Bama tune, 3.73s, and dual exhaust. I was expecting close to 200 hp.

Anybody have a similiar setup that has been on a dyno to compare to (dynojet or MD)? If I go with the Xtreme Xcharger (which is what I've wanted), what do you guys think I will net in the end?

I have read posts on here of people in the 300-350 range with the Xcharger Xtreme and I find it hard to believe that with a start of 139 hp that I will even get close to that.

Any info you folks can give would be nice...
Josh
Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

...so they did run it in 3rd? IIRC you have a 5 speed transmission meaning 4th would be a better gear, but running it in a lower gear would mean lower #'s I think (hope someone can confirm this).

Was the outside/shop temperature hot? How many miles are on your car?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

When you just use "drive", the car will downshift from 4th to 3rd gear, which is not the 1:1 gear ratio. As well, the converter needs to be locked, otherwise it will lose power through the converter. You can call Bama, and they'll take your tune and just make it a "dyno lock" file, for use strictly on the dyno. It will keep the car from downshifting to third, upshifting to 5th, and lock the converter. You can then load your normal tune when you're off the dyno.

It's going to completely change your numbers, they'll be much better. That, plus it being a Mustang dyno - those numbers are going to be way lower than a 4th gear/converter locked pull on a Dynojet.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

i have the same mods as you except im using the race tune and dont have gears, and on a dynojet in very hot tx heat i did 201 and 204 about a year apart (it was hotter during the 201 run). so yea i would say somethings off. and IMO i think its weird your tuner didnt know about the converter locking tune but that might just be me
Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the way the dyno calculates the tq and hp numbers, in 3rd your numbers will be lower.

maybe its the dyno guy's way of getting you to x charge sooner.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
i have the same mods as you except im using the race tune and dont have gears, and on a dynojet in very hot tx heat i did 201 and 204 about a year apart (it was hotter during the 201 run). so yea i would say somethings off. and IMO i think its weird your tuner didnt know about the converter locking tune but that might just be me
The temp was pretty mild this morning, around 70*-75* in the outside/shop. The guy that I'm going to use to tune it when I'm done wasn't there. I was just doing a couple pulls to see where the car was at before I went FI. Had he been present I'm sure he could have shed some light on things. I didn't really think I needed him there if I wasn't going to do any tuning.

I will be talking with him about locking it in 4th though. Thanks for the reply, I was really looking for somebody like you that had the same mods to compare with.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
When you just use "drive", the car will downshift from 4th to 3rd gear, which is not the 1:1 gear ratio. As well, the converter needs to be locked, otherwise it will lose power through the converter. You can call Bama, and they'll take your tune and just make it a "dyno lock" file, for use strictly on the dyno. It will keep the car from downshifting to third, upshifting to 5th, and lock the converter. You can then load your normal tune when you're off the dyno.

It's going to completely change your numbers, they'll be much better. That, plus it being a Mustang dyno - those numbers are going to be way lower than a 4th gear/converter locked pull on a Dynojet.
Thanks for the insite on this. I don't think the dyno guy had a lot of experience with this car, as far as what to do with the gearing. But he isn't a tuner either, so I think he could only do it the way he did. The tuning guy that I want to use wasn't there this morning, I wasn't planning on doing any tuning, just wanted some baseline numbers. Thanks for the advice on getting the "locked" tune. After I get the X installed I will have the tuner there, so I assume he will be able to lock the converter to do the tune right.
Thanks again Chris

Originally Posted by onederful100
the way the dyno calculates the tq and hp numbers, in 3rd your numbers will be lower.

maybe its the dyno guy's way of getting you to x charge sooner.
He has never dynoed an Xcharged mustang, but he wants too, so maybe
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
...so they did run it in 3rd? IIRC you have a 5 speed transmission meaning 4th would be a better gear, but running it in a lower gear would mean lower #'s I think (hope someone can confirm this).

Was the outside/shop temperature hot? How many miles are on your car?
The outside air/shop temp was pretty mild...around 70-75 this morning. 43k miles on the car.

Oh, and nice avatar.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Well guys, I took Chris's advice and got the dyno locked tune from BAMA and went back for another shot. I ended up with 207 hp and 220 tq, thats after temp and humidity correction. Also this is on a MD so the numbers may have been a little higher had it been a dynojet.

Those numbers sound better and I will use them as a baseline for after my Xtreme.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

jeez that makes my numbers seem really low then. i have the same stuff as u minus the gears. i wonder if they ran it in the wrong gear

Quick Reply: disappointed with dyno #'s