Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

supercharger prep questions

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
I bought the bung from Jegs for like $10. I just need to pull the section of pipe off the car. I have welders at work and can do it myself...but for $20 I think I would just pay somebody to do it. I'll have to check what it would cost for an exhaust shop to just do it.
Yea I got mine done at an exhaust shop! There is not much to it if you have access to a welder and a drill.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Yea I got mine done at an exhaust shop! There is not much to it if you have access to a welder and a drill.
To me it isn't the issue of doing it as much as pulling the pipe out on my garage floor...kinda a PITA. I dynoed my car today and asked them what they would charge to put it in...$15. He went to do it and said the flange studs above the cat would strip out if he kept going and he didn't have any in stock. So I guess it will have to wait. Im going over on Monday to let my dyno guy do it for me. Easier paying him then crawling around on my garage floor.

The plus side of today is that I have a good base line dyno for a starting point. 207 HP, 220 TQ. Thats after correction for temp and humidity and on a mustang dyno, so a DynoJet would have read a bit more.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

To me it isn't the issue of doing it as much as pulling the pipe out on my garage floor...kinda a PITA. I dynoed my car today and asked them what they would charge to put it in...$15. He went to do it and said the flange studs above the cat would strip out if he kept going and he didn't have any in stock. So I guess it will have to wait. Im going over on Monday to let my dyno guy do it for me. Easier paying him then crawling around on my garage floor.

The plus side of today is that I have a good base line dyno for a starting point. 207 HP, 220 TQ. Thats after correction for temp and humidity and on a mustang dyno, so a DynoJet would have read a bit more.
Good numbers. What wideband are you going with?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Good numbers. What wideband are you going with?
Thanks

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...oductId=760201
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Link doesn't work.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Link doesn't work.
I don't know what happened...

If that doesn't work use the links at the beginning of this thread, those are the 3 gauges I was planning on using.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I finally pulled the trigger today on Xcharger Xtreme #202!!! Can't wait till the box hits the doorstep and I get it installed.

Couple questions for you guys...

After talking with Dave at EE I don't think I'm going to get the fuel pressure gauge. He liked the idea of the wideband A/F and advised me to get a digital boost/vac gauge instead of a mechanical. But now I'm trying to find a digital boost/vac gauge but can't find one that matches the A/F. Any ideas? I know that replacement LED bulbs are available and say they work for all Autometer gauges. But do they work on digital gauges?

This is the A/F gauge I want, anybody know of a matching digital boost/vac gauge out there? Or should I just use a mechanical?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...63#moreDetails

This is the replacement bulb, will it work on...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105...00#accessories

I CAN NOW SAY I AM AN X-MAN!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
JimC

Josh you will love the Xcharger and the scream will put a smile on your face. Prepare for the MPG's to drop because you will be in the throttle a lot at first just to hear it scream.

I don't know on those gauges and color change but my guess is that you can't change the LED's that easily. I have the mechanical boost/vacuum gauge in my car, along with the AEM wide band.

This is my gauge set up, the boost/vacuum has 7 colors but always defaults to green when the car is shut off.

Last edited by JimC; 10-25-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Josh you will love the Xcharger and the scream will put a smile on your face. Prepare for the MPG's to drop because you will be in the throttle a lot at first just to hear it scream.

I don't know on those gauges and color change but my guess is that you can't change the LED's that easily. I have the mechanical boost/vacuum gauge in my car, along with the AEM wide band.

This is my gauge set up, the boost/vacuum has 7 colors but always defaults to green when the car is shut off.
Thats what I am really looking forward to, is the scream. I don't really care to much about the MPGs, thats not why I bought the car. My exhaust killed my MPG for a while too, but the car must have gotten use to the exhaust and the MPG went back up.

I like the way your gauges look in the center vents, thats how I'm planning on doing mine as well. How easy is it to read the boost gauge at a glance, being to the far right and forward (vs angled toward driver)?

Dave at EE advised to go with a digital boost/vac, for the acurate quick glance factor. "I'm running umm..about 7-10 psi" -mechanical or "I'm running 8psi right now" -digital
What do you think Jim?

Last edited by Joshspony; 10-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 AM
JimC

I like the digital boost/vacuum and will eventually change to one of those. It would make it easier to read than the analog.

It isn't bad reading the gauges over in the center at all. A quick glance and I can get what I need. But it would be easier with all digital - the most important one, the AFR, is digital though. The boost just lets me get a sense of belt slip more than anything, and "kind of nice" information on how much boost; it did give me the information I needed to determine my cats were clogged though based upon the vacuum reading, but that was done in the driveway so easy to watch it there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: supercharger prep questions