Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Default Dilemma

Well today I went ahead and ordered the girlfriend some spark plugs for a stocking stuffer, got some Bosch 4012s on a closeout for really cheap. What I didn't know, however, was that having bought the car last year, she's not sure if the spark plugs have been changed at all before, and thinks they haven't...her 2006 V6 has 70K miles on it currently.

I've been reading up all around about the wonderful spark plug issues that plague the 05-09 models and wanted to ask you guys for advice. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Try out replacing the plugs yourself? Or have the dealership do it with the plugs I got and hope they won't charge extra if they snap a plug? I'm nervous as hell to break a plug on her since she relies on the car for school and work, but at the same time I know she doesn't have the money to foot a spark plug/tune up bill of $200+ which means I'd have to help out quite a bit.

Help! Advice please!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Sorry, just realized that it's common for GTs, not V6s....lol...brain fart
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Been there, done that, STILL doing it. Yes, the spark plug issue is related to the GT's. I've yet to pull mine and I dread the day.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Be careful still. I've heard of more than one person getting one of the back plugs crossthreaded. Awkward to get to, but make sure you start it correctly by hand.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
Be careful still. I've heard of more than one person getting one of the back plugs crossthreaded. Awkward to get to, but make sure you start it correctly by hand.
I appreciate the advice! I've personally never changed spark plugs before, but I'm looking forward to figuring it all out.

Are there any other major things I should pay attention to while changing out the plugs? Do I put any anti-seize on the threads or should i apply some penetrating lubricant to soak in before pulling the old ones out?

Anything you guys have to add would be great!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

All I usually do is vacuum out any grit in the plug area to limit what may fall thru the opening as I remove the plug. I've yet to replace the plugs on either Stang so I can't speak on them. But of all my other vehicles, it was always a no-brainer (except for that '81 Buick Regal that was designed by monkeys; you had to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine a few inches to get to the rear driver side plug).
Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM
JimC

The back one on the passenger side is the most difficult one. It angles back toward the firewall so not a lot of room to work, and of course you can't see anything. I found using an extension that has a small wobble to it helps on some of the plugs. You don't need to use the articulating extension joint.

Be sure to ease the plugs into place with your fingers and get them turned a couple of times before you put the wrench to them. You want to be sure it is threaded properly first.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Be sure to check the gap and use anti-seize on threads. Also, you should probably replace the wires for her too at 70K.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

70k was about right with cars from about 3 - 4 decades ago but is a good bit too early for todays wires, IMO. But if it gives you peace-of-mind, have at it.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Be sure to check the gap and use anti-seize on threads. Also, you should probably replace the wires for her too at 70K.
Might be ignorant, but how do I check the gap? I know they're supposed to be .052 I believe, which from what I saw is in the range for the mustang

Quick Reply: Dilemma